Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Diesel Truck Owners...

DUSTINU
    I am looking into buying a diesel, I was wondering what kind of MPG I would be getting. I was looking at the 2006 Mega cab Dodge 4x4 , but the bed is too small.
    It will be my daily driver.
    I have a '01 Ram 1500 5.9 gas hog 4x4 now and a lil bullshiat civic for mileage, but it is way to small for me.
    I was guessing about 20 mpg after break in on the '05 Cummins 4x4. I want a diesel for fuel efficency and to tow a toy hauler when I can afford it.
    I was considering Chevy, but I get EP pricing on Dodge when ever I decide to go for it.
    Input and opinions would be helpful.
    Why am I staying with Dodge, I have 110K trouble free miles so far and have beat it like a step child.... same goes for my Dads '99 with 185K.
    Thanks,
    Dustin

My Man's Sportin' Wood
    Sportin' Wood gets about 15 in his Ford. He just broke 15K miles I think. It has been steadily improving.
    Forgot to add, it's a F-350 4x4.

voodoomedman
    There's employee pricing for everyone on Chevy's right now. Contact Photoglou

Jordy
    Sounds like you're already set on a Dodge so why ask???

jstwkd
    2005 chevy crew cab on 35 in tires...I see about 12-15 in the mountains....15-19 on highway.....

oldbuck40
    I am looking into buying a diesel, I was wondering what kind of MPG I would be getting. I was looking at the 2006 Mega cab Dodge 4x4 , but the bed is too small.
    It will be my daily driver.
    I have a '01 Ram 1500 5.9 gas hog 4x4 now and a lil bullshiat civic for mileage, but it is way to small for me.
    I was guessing about 20 mpg after break in on the '05 Cummins 4x4. I want a diesel for fuel efficency and to tow a toy hauler when I can afford it.
    I was considering Chevy, but I get EP pricing on Dodge when ever I decide to go for it.
    Input and opinions would be helpful.
    Why am I staying with Dodge, I have 110K trouble free miles so far and have beat it like a step child.... same goes for my Dads '99 with 185K.
    Thanks,
    DustinDustin,here are the facts on my 01 4x4 duelly cummins crew cab. its got the 6 speed std. and 355 gears 235.75r 16 standard size tires. i will get 15.9 to 16.2 pulling nothing,and cruise set on 70. pulling my boat which weighs in at 7500lbs at 70mph it will jump down to 13-14mpg and i have roughly 80k on it now. all the new fords dont offer 355's only 410's and you mileage will suck...

PHX ATC
    You will have lots of variables here...rear end gear ratio, auto/manual tranny, tire size, driving style...
    I have a 2001 1/2 Cummins, 6 speed, 3.54 rear end, with some performance upgrades, 285/75/16 tires that religiously gets 20 to 21 mpg driving 90% highway.
    My wife has a 2004 Cummins (not the 2004 1/2), auto, 3.73 rear end, with some performance upgrades, 285/75/17 tires that will get 16.5 mpg driving 80% in town.
    Starting with the 2004 1/2 and continuing with the 2005 Cummins added a third injection "event" in the fuel managment system (mumbo jumbo...) but that killed some of the fuel economy for the latest Cummins engines. You won't get as good as fuel economy as the earlier years. That's not to say it's horrible, but not as good. My buddy in Cali has a 2004 1/2 and it gets 15 to 16 with 100% on the highway, bone stock.
    IMHO, I think the Cummins will get maybe 1 more mpg with the newer model trucks...they don't have the advantage that they used to.
    Good luck, they all are good trucks.

DUSTINU
    jstwkd, That's not bad at all... I like that setup, it is what I have now with the 5.9 . And what I am lookin to do with the diesel.
    Jordy, Because I am a Chevy man at heart. I am just looking for other opinions and tower's satisfaction with their vehicles. My girlfriends Tahoe is a f'in lemon. I have never ruled out Chevy in my selection... now ford on the other hand? (Old rivalry with our muscle cars)

Jordy
    I have never ruled out Chevy in my selection...
    It just seemed that way after reading this:
    Why am I staying with Dodge...
    Chevy would be my choice hands down. I have 2 Duramaxes right now and they're great, not to mention the Allison behind them. I get 16 around town with my 2wd and drive it like a race car. I would get that or a little better with my 4x4 but it's too much fun picking on the ricer fart can crew.

Riverkid
    I've only got about 3500 miles on my '05 F-350 4by (crew LB) and it's getting 16 with a hard bed cover and the new Jardine diesel catback system (got the very first one)... It got 14.8 pulling my Schiada round trip to Parker. It'll take a bit for it to seat up and we'll see how it goes from there.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast