Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reverse Spam-Berkley JE/JF

spectratoad
    I am looking for a complete JE or JF pump. I am converting a boat from Panther to Berkley and am told these pumps are what would work best for my conversion.
    Thanks for the help.

DeputyDawg
    If you are going to go through the trouble to convert over to a mixed flow pump i.e. Berkeley/Dominator because you want to gain performance you would be much better off doing a little more glass work and putting in a jg Berkeley or 12 S Dominator split bowl non-insert style pump. You are going to have to do some glass work anyway and I don't think you would really gain all that much if any switching from a Panther to a je/jf insert type pump. How much horsepower are you planning on running and what type of boat is it in?

Aqua Boogie1
    Hey Todd,
    Whats up??? Not to go off course but hows Tyson and family????? Hows your family??? We won't make it to Tower Park but will be at Hallo-Roost.

spectratoad
    Hey Todd,
    Whats up??? Not to go off course but hows Tyson and family????? Hows your family??? We won't make it to Tower Park but will be at Hallo-Roost.
    Hey what's up!!! Everyone is doing pretty well. Ty got divorced so he is out playing but everything is going smooth for him. Misty and I are doing good. We will be at TP and also at the halloroost. How are you guys doing?

spectratoad
    If you are going to go through the trouble to convert over to a mixed flow pump i.e. Berkeley/Dominator because you want to gain performance you would be much better off doing a little more glass work and putting in a jg Berkeley or 12 S Dominator split bowl non-insert style pump. You are going to have to do some glass work anyway and I don't think you would really gain all that much if any switching from a Panther to a je/jf insert type pump. How much horsepower are you planning on running and what type of boat is it in?
    The guy that was going to do the conversion for me said it is just easier to do the conversion with JE/JF pump. He said I can still do a JG just easier the other way.
    It will be mostly stock so I am still even tossing around the idea of keeping the panther in there. I just don't know much about them or what kind of performance I would get. I was also going to get all this cutting, glassing conversion done before I paint.
    The boat has a 454 in it now so it will run that or just a little more HP if I throw a supercharger on it or some other minor work.

Todd, personally I think your better off keeping the Panther 'til you see how it performs.
    As for a JE/JF conversion....Do you know how the inside of a hull is shaped to take one of those? More than half of the suction housing IS the hull and it needs to fit to the insert pump pretty tight. Removing the Panther "insert shape" and glassing things back to "normal" and then making two simple cutouts for the standard Berkeley pump would have to be far easier.

Her454
    We won't make it to Tower Park but will be at Hallo-Roost.
    Whooooooooooo Hooooooooooooo, I've already started planning it!!!!! You missed out last year!

spectratoad
    Todd, personally I think your better off keeping the Panther 'til you see how it performs.
    As for a JE/JF conversion....Do you know how the inside of a hull is shaped to take one of those? More than half of the suction housing IS the hull and it needs to fit to the insert pump pretty tight. Removing the Panther "insert shape" and glassing things back to "normal" and then making two simple cutouts for the standard Berkeley pump would have to be far easier.
    OS,
    Yeah my gut is saying get everything else done, see what the panther does in the water and go from there. The guy did say that the big reasong the JE/JF may be easier is because of the way it fits into the transom. He did also say the the intake is alot larger and farther forward than the panther.

spectratoad
    Whooooooooooo Hooooooooooooo, I've already started planning it!!!!! You missed out last year!
    Yeah we needed someone besides me to make fun of. Well Traci got her share too. Things at Hogan do go bump in the night, oh wait that was Traci falling into her boat.

If you have to cut out the Panther hull shape, it's got to be easier to reshape it for a standard pump. You might want to talk to Duane @Hi-Tech about the idea. I remember him answering some questions here a year or so ago about a JE to JC/JG conversion, which would be pretty similar to a Panther -to- JC/JG deal. Certainly sounded like he'd done a few.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast