Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: engine dies

woskie70
    I TOOK THE BOAT OUT TODAY AND IT WOULD NOT GO. HAD IT OUT ON SUNDAY AND IT RAN GREAT PUT IT IN THE WATER TODAY AND IT CRAPS ON ITSELF. IT STARTS UP FINE AND IDLES GOOD BUT WHEN I GET ON IT IT DIES. IT WILL RUN AROUND 3000 RPMS BUT ONCE YOU GO OVER THAT IT STARTS TO SPUDDER AND THEN DIES OR BACK FIRES. THEN STARTS RIGHT BACK UP. NEVER HAD THIS KIND OF PROBLEM BEFORE DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT MIGHT BE CAUSING THIS. I HAVE A 460 FORD STOCK FOR THE MOST PART. STILL HAS OLD DISTRIBUTER AND COIL AND HAS A 750 HOLLY CARB WITH ELECTRIC FUEL PUMP. ANY IDEAS WILL HELP.
    THANKS IN ADVANCE

83Dana454
    I'd start by making sure you have good fuel pressure when the symptom occurs. A buddy of mine had alot of problems with electric fuel pumps going out. Good luck

bakerjet
    if it's not a fuel problem and you have a hei ignition try replacing your module
    i had the same symptoms and the module was bad.oops didn't listen to what i read! might be the coil tho.

might be the coil though.
    I've seen this one before. Same symptoms exactly. It would rev to about 3000 rpm, then fall all over itself. Coils are pretty cheap, or you could try borrowing one.

woskie70
    i will try the coil and then go from there. any more ideas?

atxwrangler
    i hope it is not a flat lobe on the cam! :sleeping:

SmokinLowriderSS
    Bad coil. I had it 2 years ago. Was fine at first, a long run would kill it as it got hot. Then would only run under 3K, 2500 later on as it got worse.

GUGS102
    I was with Woskie on sunday when it was OKAY, I told him I can help him upgrade the points dist and get rid of the cast intake, I guess I may have cursed the ign system in question.
    Eric - I've got a few coils we can try. Shoot me a call. But you should upgrade the dist and intake, I'm sure someone here has parts for a good price.
    Gugs

maxwedge
    I had almost this exact same problem a few weeks ago on a 455 and it wound up being the fuel pump was only putting out about 2psi (mechanical pump). I have also had of very similar symtoms with a failing electric pump, or bad coil, at least in cars anyway.

Acommanderguy
    I remember when I was working in the boat shop, and we would have this issue come up on the new boats. customer takes it out idles good then, gets on it about 2500-3000 rpms boats spudders and dies. needless to say everytime this happened we had to replace the fuel pump. that fixed the problem

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast