Thread: berk. ja pump

just got a complete pump with a fairly new place divertor on it. its a split bowl and the tag says ja-b. never seen a ja before. any good? thanks
    pat(slotracer) :rollside:

Squirtin Thunder

Cas
    figured you may have been the one to pick that pump up off craigs list
    The guy told me he thought it was a G pump.

that be me. whats the difference between the a nd g pump besides how the coupler goes on?
    pat(slotracer) :220v:

SoggyJet
    ...whats the difference between the a nd g pump besides how the coupler goes on?
    pat(slotracer) :220v:
    The A was the first of this series of pumps. The major differences are in the bowl design. The vanes in the bowl are shorter in the A bowl, ending somewhat recessed near the machined nozzle mounting surface. The vanes in the G bowl extend all the way to be even with the machined nozzle mounting surface. In addition to the length, I think the design of the vanes in the "G" bowl have a more efficient shape.
    Bottom line? "G" bowl will perform better than an "A". Use the "A" to get on the water, but upgrade to a modern bowl when you can. My brother went from an unmodified "B" bowl to an unmodified modern bowl and gained several MPH - best speed improvement for the buck that he made on his rig.
    One other difference that I saw when I looked at SquirtinThinders picture was the input shaft splines and seal. In the "A" pump, the shaft splines and drive line are exposed and the grease seal seals directly to the shaft. On the "B" and later series pumps the splines are more recessed and the seal seals to the driveline. I think I have heard that a "G" shaft and and bearing retainer can be installed in an "A" housing - but check with an expert before trying.
    Doug

Squirtin Thunder
    One other difference that I saw when I looked at SquirtinThinders picture was the input shaft splines and seal. In the "A" pump, the shaft splines and drive line are exposed and the grease seal seals directly to the shaft. On the "B" and later series pumps the splines are more recessed and the seal seals to the driveline. I think I have heard that a "G" shaft and and bearing retainer can be installed in an "A" housing - but check with an expert before trying.
    Doug
    Yes all the "modern" parts fit an "A" pump !!!
    Being the first run I am sure the "G" is better but for the cost it should work fine for now !!! The design of the shaft spline do not permit use of the "standard" bearing retainer, so not three point mounting !!!

Jim Brock
    the shaft is longer on the A pump, you will have to move motor forward to put the A pump in and then move it back for the G,C,B, pump Jim

will the a bowl fit a jc pump? for what i paid for it along with the place divertor i could throw away the pump housing and install the split bowl with the place and still be ahead of the game money wise.
    pat(slotracer) :crossx:

Squirtin Thunder
    will the a bowl fit a jc pump? for what i paid for it along with the place divertor i could throw away the pump housing and install the split bowl with the place and still be ahead of the game money wise.
    pat(slotracer) :crossx:
    Yes it will fit !!! Also I will take the rest of it.

The pump in my Cheetah is an "A" pump.