Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Larry Smith (Scarab) and Randy Scism (MTI) on diesels

ECeptor
    ...both were interviewed in separate magazine articles. Both mentioned diesels as the next wave of low maintenance, high efficiency for performance boats.
    Scism had a big cat (38', I think) with twin Yanmars that ran 100+, burned 1/3 the fuel of blown BBCs, and had rebuilt intervals in the 1000's of hrs vs 100's of hrs for gas engines.
    Smith in a separate article talked about the same benefits - lower fuel consumption, much longer service intervals and more reliability vs the current state of the art gas engines.
    So, what does everyone think about diesels in high performance (non-race) boats? Anyone seen any +70mph oil burners on the water?

HOSS
    Yeah, the Navy MK-V aka Mark 5. We had one at 78!

Lightning
    If they offered a diesel engine I would seriously consider it. The only problem is lack of diesel fuel availability on the water.

scarabrick2
    It's going to take a BIG boat to handle the weight of the diesel. Oh yah and a lot of HP/torque. maybe a coulpe of in-line 6's with 1 turbo each would be ok but it needs a lot of engine room. Diesels have a lot of torqe so the drive would have to be a surface drive(direct drive,v drive) we had a work boat with a diesel/volvo drive and man that thing ran forever. did great on fuel but was a$$ heavy with only one in-line 6! All you need is extra fuel filters and a manual priming pump and your good to go.

Jordy
    The only problem is lack of diesel fuel availability on the water.
    If you're on the ocean it's everywhere. On inland water, it would be easier to find than race gas, and if you're not burning as much of it, just fill up before you dropped it in the water and run all weekend.
    Also, you'd be able to run red-dye fuel which is cheaper because it's an off road vehicle.

LHC30Victory
    Aren't the newer diesels lighter lately due to newer metals? If they keep working that angle, then between the higher torque output per displacement and the lighter structural components, it may become quite popular. Besides, a pair of straight sixes would free up a lot of engine compartment wouldn't it?

HOSS
    Mark 5`s a jet driven.

superdave013
    I was talking to a guy at the last PRI show about his diesel project. He's doing up the Duramax for a direct replacement for the 496. He says he can make over 1,000 ft/pounds of torque all day long. I asked how many hours it would live. I can't remember what he said to the T but it he is expecting way way more life then you'll ever get out of any blown engine putting out that kind of power. And yes, no race gas, no av gas, just fill it up with diesel.
    It should be interesting to see what happens with it.

scarabrick2
    Aren't the newer diesels lighter lately due to newer metals? If they keep working that angle, then between the higher torque output per displacement and the lighter structural components, it may become quite popular.
    Besides, a pair of straight sixes would free up a lot of engine compartment wouldn't it?
    I think we have a bigger sun pad with the diesels(longer than gas). Even room between the motors for a dance poll!!

Jordy
    I was talking to a guy at the last PRI show about his diesel project. He's doing up the Duramax for a direct replacement for the 496. He says he can make over 1,000 ft/pounds of torque all day long.
    Before I went the route I did with the whackers I was considering finding a Cig without power and throwing a pair of Duramaxes in just to do something different. The weak link with 1,000 ft lbs of torque would be the drives so it would have to end up with #6's or Arnesons to live. Started penciling some numbers and decided that it was too much of an undertaking for an experiment, but none the less, it would be cool to take off and leave a big school bus style cloud of black smoke behind.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast