Thread: Drywall Question.

*BN*
    Remodeling our house and I have a question.
    When the dry-wallers are installing a "bull nose" on the corners it appears there is a gap under the metal....Is that area supposed to be filled with mud?
    Just wondering because it doesn't look like it will take much of hit before it gets a dent.

phebus
    The bull nose is just nailed around the corner. No mud, just taped and mudded in place after it is hung.

*BN*
    Thanks for the reply. That is what they did it looks great.
    The reason I asked is, I moved a couch before they textured and dinged it hard. Forgot to ask them about void behind the bull nose.
    Thanks again.

*BN*
    wife hit you with a pan :cry:
    That would be do to being BULLHEAD-ED. :hammer2:

Man-de-lone
    It is left hollow. There are a couple of different kinds though. Nail on, tape on or nail on with tape.
    I'd suggest that if they use nail on, that you have them tape the edges. This will help to prevent cracks along that joint later.

lynden
    The guy I sheet rock with fills them in behind with mud. He tried just mudding it on and leaving it hollow and said that in a few years it starts to peel away from the wall, and it is easier to dent. All his bullnose is now mudded behind, has been for 7-8 years now and no problems with it. In fact we just got done with my parents house and this is how we did it. Just makes sense.

Red Horse
    Mud behind it is the way to go. And if the stuff gets bent before it goes one youll never get it stay looking right. Will look right for a while then it keeps cracking. :wink:

NashvilleBound
    Typically the bullnose is left hollow. My guys put it up with a small stapler. That way it stays straight and even. Sometimes when the guys use nails they pinch or kink it. Ruins the whole thing. Mud behind? Interesting idea. Maybe in a high traffic area? Kids? ...and maybe only the first 4 feet up or if you just have tons of free time

Red Horse
    Not packed in till it oozes everywhere. Just enough to give it some support. The rounded stuff is plastic and gives some. The metal corner bead will dent and allow finish to crack.