Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ford guru's

Tresguey
    ok my buddy picked up a 77 charger mini day cruiser. it had a ford 460 in it that came unglued. but just picked up a new block and bottom end for it. he wants to know what cam to put in it. and we were told to use a different oil pump drive shaft in it. not to use the stock one. is this true? he also picked up a used gear drive for it. i have never worked on a ford and he hasn't either. he is mopar and im chevy. is there anything we should know putting in that gear drive or anything in general? we need alot of advice.

460 WJ
    I'm running this cam right here..
    It is a CRANE CAM
    Part Number: 354561 Grind Number: H-296-2 (REPLACES CCH-296-2)
    Engine Identification:
    Start Yr. End Yr. Make Cyl Description
    1968 Up FORD-MERCURY 8 FAIR IDLE, PERFORMANCE USAGE, GOOD MID-RANGE HP, 3800-4200 CRUISE RPM, AUTO W/3000+ CONVERTER, 10.0 TO 11.5 COMPRESSION RATIO ADVISED. BASIC RPM 3000-6500
    Engine Size Configuration
    370-460 C.I. V
    Valve Setting: Intake .000 Exhaust .000 HOT
    Lift: Intake @Cam 325 @Valve 556 All Lifts are based
    on zero lash and theoretical rocker arm ratios.
    Exhaust @ Cam 329 @Valve 563
    Rocker Arm Ratio 1.71
    Cam Timing: TAPPET @.0042
    Lift: Opens Closes ADV Duration
    Intake 41.0 BTDC 75.0 ABDC 296 °
    Exhaust 83.0 BBDC 37.0 ATDC 300 °
    Spring Requirements: Triple Dual Outer Inner
    Part Number 96881
    Loads Closed 122 LBS @ 1.900 or 1 29/32
    Open 323 LBS @ 1.360
    Recommended RPM range with matching components
    Minimum RPM 3000
    Maximum RPM 6600
    Valve Float 7200
    Cam Timing: TAPPET @.050
    Lift: Opens Closes Max Lift Duration
    Intake 13.0 BTDC 43.0 ABDC 105 236 °
    Exhaust 55.0 BBDC 5.0 ATDC 115 240 °

Tresguey
    anyone know about the oil pump?

Danhercules
    PM Lakes Only. He is nuts about this Ford stuff. :boxed:
    He helped me with my build. My boats runnin great and hard!

Tresguey
    thanks i wil do that. like i said i realy don't know much about that blue oval stuff thats wht we are asking dont wanna make a stupid mistake.

Rampager
    Need more info about what you're hoping to acomplish with the boat, what year the motor is what heads etc etc
    the usual stuff helps ign/carb etc 460 is a great motor for a jet but keep the whole package in mind (like any motor)
    Lots of ford guys around sometimes you just gotta wait till they surface lol
    Definatly check out the 385 series engine forum there are ford freaks galore there (obviously)
    Good luck
    Cheers
    http://www.network54.com/Forum/85220

460 jus getn it
    anyone know about the oil pump?
    i have a melling hi volume oil pump. at idle cole i have 90psi at warm idle 50psi. wot warm 80psi. i have a 466ford dove-c heads ported stealth intake and soon to have a 850 dp (thanks to jim). 10.1 comp comp cams 230@.50 .543 lift 110lobe sep.msd ing. im turning 5100rpm and when it wants to it runs like a champ.......there are many ford guys here they will surface.

ok my buddy picked up a 77 charger mini day cruiser. it had a ford 460 in it that came unglued. but just picked up a new block and bottom end for it. he wants to know what cam to put in it. and we were told to use a different oil pump drive shaft in it. not to use the stock one. is this true? he also picked up a used gear drive for it. i have never worked on a ford and he hasn't either. he is mopar and im chevy. is there anything we should know putting in that gear drive or anything in general? we need alot of advice.
    My advice is to buy a good CJ type Oil Pump and Billet drive. I sell them, and have since 1976. Others sell them also. Make sure your friend has a Full or Rear Sump Marine Pan with at least 8 qt capacity and large P/U when the engine goes back together. THROW the gear drive away, or sell it. It will only be trouble in the long(or short) run. I'm sure someone will recommend a Cam. Don't make it too big if you plan on running a stock type pump and impeller(short duration, high lift 110-112 centerline). RR
    I'm just a pawn in the game of life...........

Tresguey
    well my buddy is dead set on running the gear drive because it sounds cool! its a miladon gear drive. what type of failure rate do they have and why dont you want to use them? also he has a fresh set of D3 heads. are they a good set of heads for ford? he has a a new holley 650 ho is putting on it. and a dual plane edlebrock intake. the pump and impeller is stock berkley jc-a. oh yeah ignition is stock. any help will be great.

well my buddy is dead set on running the gear drive because it sounds cool! its a miladon gear drive. what type of failure rate do they have and why dont you want to use them? also he has a fresh set of D3 heads. are they a good set of heads for ford? he has a a new holley 650 ho is putting on it. and a dual plane edlebrock intake. the pump and impeller is stock berkley jc-a. oh yeah ignition is stock. any help will be great.
    Gear and Belt Drives are nice on race engines that aren't necessarily relied on for skiing, tubing and family recreation. It's your bud's choice, but I would'nt use it in his application. For a stock application, D3 Heads will fill the bill. From a performance standpoint, they are probably the worst Heads Ford ever made for this engine. They CAN be improved, but the $$$$ would better be spent on a different type of Head(lot's of Ford Iron Heads will work much better than these), if $$$ are in the budget. A 650 Carb is OK for a stock 460, but as displacement and or output increases, so does the need for air(engines are air pumps, plain and simple). The Dual Plane Intake is OK for your friends use at the point he is at. The Ignition is Ok if Electronic, but I and many others rely on MSD systems. I would NOT switch to a hybird(Pertronix etc) system. Just have your friend save his $$ and switch the Ignition as a whole unit at once. That way, it's taken care of as a unit and works as designed. Hope that helps. Other opinions will be expressed, I'm sure. If you need more help, call me at the # on the website 6 days. RR
    I'm just a pawn in the game of life...........

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast