Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my friends lack of fume awareness is scaring me

berk
    my buddy has a jetboat with enclosed hatch. he has a mechanical fuel pump with the bypass hose, which has been plugged off by him. he has an edelbrock carb which is not marine, with oldschool screen flame arrestor. he has no bilge blower and doesnt seem to want one.
    heres the question: am i beng too critical by saying i dont feel safe in his boat or is it more of a burn or dont burn situation? also does a starter solenoid that is not part of the starter need to be coast guard approved, and also does the starter need certs as well?
    can anyone give some stories or pictures which will back me up in my concern?
    i usually like to let people learn their own lessons but this seems to dangerous. :clover:

ddevore
    I was talking to Lakeland Marine in Lake Elsinore about automotive parts for my jet - I needed a fuel pump. He had a very nice 1/2 of a boat in the lot that a guy had recently blown the hatch on because he had a car fuel pump / starter in.... Needless to say I bought the Marine fuel pump.

......am i beng too critical by saying i dont feel safe in his boat...
    No way! Maybe if people refuse to get in his boat he'll get the message.

berk
    yeah he is new to boating and thinks i am full of chit becasue the riverpig that pulled him over so many times hasnt said anything about it. he hasnt been nailed by the cop i was obviously, that dikk wanted to check my underpants for uscg approval.
    Dragboats, you didnt mention the starter/solenoid needing to be spark resist? the starter is so low on my boat it would be in the fume zone bigtime.

Squirtin Thunder
    I put out a fire on Lake Mohave with my jet. The hatch was blown clean off !!! There are alot of guys that run automotive stuff in enclosed hatches, but I do not recomend it one bit. I was a bit too buisy putting out the fire to take picks sorry !!!

GUGS102
    I agree completey with the other posts. I saw a guy get blown from the back of a 21 foot carrera OVER the bow and into the water. 3rd degree burns on torso and legs.
    Some conversions are easy. You can drill a hole in the top of the arrestor with a fuel fitting and re connect the fuel pump overflow. If the diaphram goes out on the pump the way he currently has it set up,he'll fill the bildge with vapor and raw fuel. It usually leaks for a while before quitting, even scarier!!
    I run all marine electronics with necessary supression and I have an open covered engine.
    If it were me and he was my boating buddy - I'd show up at his place with a blower set up at the least. Would not want my buddy/family/friends to get burned.
    See if he'll read our posts and heed our advice.

berk
    No way! Maybe if people refuse to get in his boat he'll get the message.
    the problem is nobody knows what the fork i am talking about when i say this stuff. heres how stubborn he is: i have a leftover 600cfm edelbrock on the bench, one year old, marine version. his is a non marine same carb but 20 years older, and he isnt even interested in trading! i even took it down and left it in his kitchen, where it remains.

berk
    I agree completey with the other posts. I saw a guy get blown from the back of a 21 foot carrera OVER the bow and into the water.
    there we go! i need good stories like this! forget the friends and fam, that guy could have been me! :supp:
    yeah you cant be too pushy though, every captain is the captain. now i am wondering about MY setup! i dont think my starter is spark arrested. also on the solenoid question, how to tell if it is sealed? becasue they look like they could be or might not be from the outside.

berk
    also i thoght during operation was less worry becasue the air is all going in the engine and there isnt any sparking goin on from the starter?
    also not mentioned, the alternator, does it get USCG stamps too?

...also not mentioned, the alternator, does it get USCG stamps too?
    Yep, distributor, alternator and starter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast