Thread: Can a 69 flattie be held to the new 2005 decibel test.

meaniam
    Can a 69 flattie be held to the new 2005 decibel test. i fought this back in 96 with a more relaxed law and won. anybody no forsure?

Jim W
    Hope you get a response from your post.
    I am here in upstate NY with an even tougher noise laws.
    Should be getting my boat tested this week. Friends of mine with the sherriffs department using their DB meter to give me a base line to work from. 1971 Hallett V-drive flatty with a 396 BBC, tunnell ram and O/T Bassett headers.
    How did you "win" your case before? Very interested in that.
    Thanks, Jim

dmontzsta
    I do believe all watercraft put on the water will be held to the noise law.

BrendellaJet
    thats crap. They dont do it to cars, why do it to boats. Old boats should only be held to the law that was in effect when it was first made...

Meaniam, the answer is YES.
    ...Old boats should only be held to the law that was in effect when it was first made...
    The laws were in effect. They were either ignored or it was too difficult to test accurately on the water. New equipment and standardized test procedures make it easier for them.
    I had a friend with a Tahiti 455 jet get busted out in the Delta for noise back in 79. He had water injection but no baffles. Had to return to meet a sherrif who had a DB meter for an inspection and a curury db check. I think they only wanted to see the baffles.

Jake W2
    I feel for you guys and the noise laws ,we might have them in LOTO but neither my 2 jets (one with headers)or my familey truckster(Baja with Eddie Marine open tips) have ever been tested or stoped for noise.Even our boat cops have Scarabs with through hull exhaust and one even has a jet with through hull exhaust.I hope they do not bring that shit this way.
    Jake

Jake it's all over the country. California is not the first, and I'm sure it wont be the last state to enact the new testing standards.

76BARRON
    Can a 69 flattie be held to the new 2005 decibel test. i fought this back in 96 with a more relaxed law and won. anybody no forsure?
    there are some old threads that cover all of this in detail........
    If I remember correctly,boats made after 1990 have to meet the 86 db limit
    and before 1990 I think it is 89db ?a slight break for the older boats(in calif.)
    At the river 396 bbc, headers(dry)w/baffles NO WATER I was 89 db but the LEO said he was not going to bust me over 3 db but not to raise to much hell around the houses/people.
    NOTE ! The LEO's want to see baffles inside or your busted! Water alone does not cut it!

Norseman
    there are some old threads that cover all of this in detail........
    If I remember correctly,boats made after 1990 have to meet the 86 db limit
    and before 1990 I think it is 89db ?a slight break for the older boats(in calif.)
    At the river 396 bbc, headers(dry)w/baffles NO WATER I was 89 db but the LEO said he was not going to bust me over 3 db but not to raise to much hell around the houses/people.
    NOTE ! The LEO's want to see baffles inside or your busted! Water alone does not cut it!
    Just as an FYI an increase in DB measurements of 3db will sound twice as loud to your ear.

meaniam
    Hope you get a response from your post.
    I am here in upstate NY with an even tougher noise laws.
    Should be getting my boat tested this week. Friends of mine with the sherriffs department using their DB meter to give me a base line to work from. 1971 Hallett V-drive flatty with a 396 BBC, tunnell ram and O/T Bassett headers.
    How did you "win" your case before? Very interested in that.
    Thanks, Jim
    well i had to go to court house in paso robles, for ticket receaved in nacimento. being from southern california. i towed my boat 4hr 30 min to go to court. the sound course naci has you run threw was to hard to setup appointment and i dought i would have passed. so i went into the court and my arguement was that my boat should not be held to db laws that were passed in i think 1976 as my boat at time was a 66. and i was not interested in noise. and was running water injection and 1/4 baffles. the judge sent the da for the case out to look in the exhast and judge dismissed the case just like that. it was a female boat patrol lady. that wrote me the ticket up there. and she showed up to court too. i have know idea if it was my arguement of the age of the boat. or my attempt at making it quite that got me off the hook. the reason i fought the ticket was that it was marked a misdeminor. i thought that was a big thing at the time.
    keep in mind this was all in 1996 so i may not remember every detail as it went down.
    boy the new law should not be enforcable on boats that were manufactered before law was written