Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Call me Crazy..Thinkin' bout a cruiser

Hot Rod Hallett
    I know I will get blasted for this post but lately I have been casually thinking about selling my boat and stepping up to a cruiser. Melinda (my girlfriend and probably eventually wife has a 9-year old and we like to boat a few times a year at Mead with my family). It gets rough out there in my little 19 bubble deck Hallett and a cruiser squirt gun with more room in it and through transom exhaust sounds like where I might be headed. I want to stick with a jet as I love boating the river most of the time but I think I am ready for a smoother ride, a swim step, a kick ass stereo, and a bimini top. Its tough to think about selling my boat as I and a few other board members Flatbroke and Hackjob have put so much work into her and I have shelled out a fair share of cash on her but I think I am almost at the point of wanting something bigger. I have entertained a V-drive too but am leaning more towards a jet. Friends and fellow boaters give me your advice. I am a true hot boater and am having a tough time thinking about letting go of the over the transom headers, tunnel ram exposed motor loaded with chrome, polished aluminum and braided lines and the 80 mph ride. To anyone who has made this transition how did you handle it?

hack job
    I know I will get blasted for this post but lately I have been casually thinking about selling my boat and stepping up to a cruiser. Melinda (my girlfriend and probably eventually wife has a 9-year old and we like to boat a few times a year at Mead with my family). It gets rough out there in my little 19 bubble deck Hallett and a cruiser squirt gun with more room in it and through transom exhaust sounds like where I might be headed. I want to stick with a jet as I love boating the river most of the time but I think I am ready for a smoother ride, a swim step, a kick ass stereo, and a bimini top. Its tough to think about selling my boat as I and a few other board members Flatbroke and Hackjob have put so much work into her and I have shelled out a fair share of cash on her but I think I am almost at the point of wanting something bigger. I have entertained a V-drive too but am leaning more towards a jet. Friends and fellow boaters give me your advice. I am a true hot boater and am having a tough time thinking about letting go of the over the transom headers, tunnel ram exposed motor loaded with chrome, polished aluminum and braided lines and the 80 mph ride. To anyone who has made this transition how did you handle it?
    travis
    i know what you mean that is why i went with my new boat i didnt want to have to worry about the small boat any more you can still throw a roost and move along pretty good in a bigger jet you just have to choose the right one. i would think that i still have a 80 mph ride.
    i guess we will see some time next week.

lucky
    I traded my 39 chevy - for mine - and went threw just about dam neer every thing -- 80 in a jet with a 21 would be a challenge - I think mouser ran close to that with his dne motor - but you do have options -- I have a mild 468 with a mini blower ( v drive ) - and i'm about 70-75 I hold 70 gallons of fuel - took 7 people out bimini top up and stero playing -- most fun you can have

dmontzsta
    I dont think it is a bad idea at all, just stay under 21' and you are fine for any outing. I love my dads 21' V-Drive cruiser. But the V-Drive cruisers seem to be more expensive than the Jets and there is sure alot more Jets available.
    It all depends on your budget.

Nucking futs
    Travis, do I have the boat for you..........................just like Hackers boat, make you a smoken deal on it too. Hell take the engine out of the Hallet and drop it in my boat and your good to go, just need to add the cd player and the bimini and your set.
    http://www.southwindjetboats.com/DSC00024.JPG
    http://www.southwindjetboats.com/DSC00025.JPG
    http://www.southwindjetboats.com/DSC00023.JPG

Hot Rod Hallett
    Tim- I have been eye'ing your boat for a while. It is super clean and would be perfect for me. I don't know if my budget will allow for it but we shall see. I think I would want to sell the Hallett turnkey so I can get the most money for it to be able to put into a nice cruiser. What power does your boat have and what kind of cash would we be talking to buy it turnkey? What kind of money would we be talking less motor? PM me when you have an opportunity.

maxwedge
    Sounds like it's time to trade that girlfriend in on a younger more sporty model. This one is making you think incorrectly.
    Actaully, I used to boat at Mead in a 19 ft jet and I know it sucks when you get out there in the afternoon and it's rough like that. Of course, I used to have a girlfriend who is now my ex-wife, and that kinda sucks too..
    Tough call on that one. Maybe you should just loan me your current boat for a while to see if you miss it. You can always rent a crusier or a houseboat in the mean time to see how much fun floating in choppy water and listening to the stereo can be. After a few months or so, when you are lonely, depressed and crying about your boat, you will see the error of your ways, and I will give you your boat back..or at least point you towards the genreal area where I think it sank.

dmontzsta
    Tim's boat is clean. It also moves along pretty well, especially through the chop.

Hot Rod Hallett
    Hulls that I would consider for going to a cruiser:
    Hallett 18 Mini Crusier like HalletDave's
    Hallett 21
    Spectra 20
    Spectra 19 like Hack Jobs old boat
    Eliminator 21
    Eliminator Daytona 19 mini cruiser v-bottom
    Southwind Cruiser
    Carrerra 20.5 Elite???
    Closed deck only!!
    Prefer a BBC if boat has power but may sell the Hallett less motor if I can pick the new boat up in reasonable price range and stick the Ford in it.

Nucking futs
    Travis, I would take 17 turn key right now, and 12.500 less engine. I lost my job yesterday so I must let it go. Right now it has a 400 hp 468, lightning headers demon 850 steath manifold and is 8.1-1 compression forged je pistons ported 2.19in 1.88 oval port heads full roller dominator pump aluim. berk "A" ride plate 3* bc shoe place droop and diverter blueprinted bottom bennett trim tabs and has ran 73.9 at big river with no fuel and just myself.
    Engine has 25 hrs. on it 225 hr on the whole boat.
    Really need to get rid of it, don't want to but I have to now.
    Tim

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast