Thread: check your kill switches!!!!!

Sanger D
    Motored towards the ramp and hit the switch and BLAM, motor no turn offy!!!!!!!!! so I pulled the dead man and STILL no shut off, LUCKLY I keep a couple wrenches and a screw driver with me and reached back and grounded the MAG.FRICKIN scarry!!! SO poeple, check your switches,just a reminder!!! :mix: .........carry on!

olbiezer
    might be switching to a mag soon how did u ground it.....i take it it wasent easy my boat would have the mag in the rear. thanks

Moneypitt
    Hey, that extra wire hanging close to the block, wasn't extra!! Ground it!!!..MP

Sanger D
    danm I feel dumb ,thats a great idea!!! but I must say I haven,t seen anybody else do that!!! :idea: I am gonna do that, :smile: just a little one to reach the mag.thanks MP, thats pretty freaky when the boat don,t shut down!!!

Moneypitt
    What I meant was the wire from the emergency kill needs to ground the mag when the cap is pulled off. Usually the ground is on the block, a single wire that somehow gets forgotten, often..........A mag kill doesn't pass 12 volts like a dist. kill switch, it only grounds the mag, killing the spark......MP

78Eliminator
    When Fiat48 and I were wiring up my sanger, every switch including the kill switch were all bad. Doesn't take much for them to go south....

Kurtis500
    might be switching to a mag soon how did u ground it.....i take it it wasent easy my boat would have the mag in the rear. thanks
    Run the opposite terminals that you would on an electronic ignition. When you pull the switch, it should create the contact. A 12 test light will tell you which connections they are.

Moneypitt
    The kill switch for a distributor becomes "open" when the cap is removed, cutting voltage to the coil. A kill switch for a mag becomes "closed" when the cap is pulled, connecting the mag to ground. and killing the spark. You can't use the same kill switch for both............MP