Thread: Starters again

gnarley
    So what seem to work best in the BBC gear reduction style starters? I had someone also tell me that GM makes a marine version gear reduction but I can't find info on it anywhere.
    So opinions or comments?

Hotcrusader76
    Ask Mike with Rex Marine. I think he might have a lead on that.
    Good luck.
    ~Ty

spectras only
    Gnarly , I have what you'll call a GM certified marine starter on my LS-6 .It's small and cranks small and big blocks .Dave at california marine has it in stock. 235 US$ .If you're interested give hima call at 604-278-1880.

Hotcrusader76:
    Good luck.
    ~Ty We use the IMI gear reduction starters. They work excellent and are substantially cheaper than Tilton which was the mainstay for years. Starters Let me know if we can help.

Done Flippin
    Rexone:
    Hotcrusader76:
    Good luck.
    ~Ty We use the IMI gear reduction starters. They work excellent and are substantially cheaper than Tilton which was the mainstay for years. Starters Let me know if we can help. Hey Rex,
    Are the starters you are talking about the ones that are made in Whitter by the funny car guys shop. Of so the starters that I have purchased from them are still working great after 3 years.
    Good advice.

They are made in Whittier, just not sure about the funny car guy.

SK48
    Done Flippin never starts his boat. It is a trailer Queen. When he does use it I have to help him push start it. Darn weekenders.
    IMI starters are the best ones I have found the planatary gears are made of metal. The Tiltons and G.M. ones have plastic gears. I am guilty I have a G.M. one on my Biesemeyer and it is working O.K. but it doesen't get a lot of use.
    Call Mike at Rex for and IMI starter you won't be disappointed.

powerplay230
    Gnarley,
    I have a Gm one that came off a 502 longblock I bought about a year and half ago. Perfectly good starter but when I was putting the engine in boat I followed my mechanics advice and replaced it with one from Mercruiser (the overpriced one lol) then I found out afterwards that they are the same starter? It has done a great job sitting on shelf in garage... if interested email me at heavychevss@aol.com and I can send pictures or any info. cheap plus shipping...