Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Three blade vs. Two blade prop on a Hydro

DUECE'SDAD
    I've figured out my gears now, im going with the 15%'s but now i was wondering about my prop. I have been running the one that came on it, which is a 11 1/4 x 16 hydo three blade i have tryed a few other loaner two blades, but always with the wrong gears. I am wondering what it would do if i put the same prop on but went to a hydro two blade ? ? One guy local told me that a three blade has 1/3 more lift which with my low hp engine (400hp) thats what i need. Is this in your guys opinion, or would you want to make a stab at which prop to run. Oh and by the way i dont have the ones i tried before or remember what they were. Thanks for any input.

Kurtis500
    Too many variables. I'll tell you what I have and did to help in your conclusion. I have one boat with 37 gears and a 3 blade, the other has a 2 blade with 18 gears. I swapped them with no other changes and the one boat slowed down entirely on et and mph while the other dropped mph and kept the et. No benefit. The big 2 blade was on low gears with less hp, the 3 blade with bigger gears and more hp. You would think the higher hp boat would turn the prop of the lower hp boat to a better et and mph. Didn't work that way. I'll never claim to be a racing expert no matter how long I do it, but this is a fact-----IT'S ALL IN THE COMBONATION!---- When you say 2 or 3 blade, are you talking cleaver props? round ear? props can be tuned for a range of prop speeds and functions. theres alot to it. Just try em all if you can.

NICE PAIR
    Iv'e run several Sanger shovelnoses, "back in the day" they used to say find a prop that works on your hydro > then if you want more > add more horsepower > add more gear. Sanger themselves @ the speeds you should expect reccomended the Stellings large ear 11 1/2 x 15 2 blade for that boat. have tried lots of props ( with small horses and big horses ) stellings 11 1/2 x15 or 17 carried the boat the best.

ColeTR2
    You should PM bigkatboat (http://www2.***boat.com/forums/priva...o=newpm&u=5023) he is the know it all when it comes to props!

fastsanger
    does any one have a 2 blade 11-1/2 -17 stellings 1-1/8 laying around??call ron braaksma 909-886-3298 he seems to know his stuff about props www.rbprops.com

EXTREMEBOATS
    Rons the man... He's done several for my hydros and been right on the money every time... :hammerhea
    Mike

wsuwrhr
    Too many variables. I'll tell you what I have and did to help in your conclusion. I have one boat with 37 gears and a 3 blade, the other has a 2 blade with 18 gears. I swapped them with no other changes and the one boat slowed down entirely on et and mph while the other dropped mph and kept the et. No benefit. The big 2 blade was on low gears with less hp, the 3 blade with bigger gears and more hp. You would think the higher hp boat would turn the prop of the lower hp boat to a better et and mph. Didn't work that way. I'll never claim to be a racing expert no matter how long I do it, but this is a fact-----IT'S ALL IN THE COMBONATION!---- When you say 2 or 3 blade, are you talking cleaver props? round ear? props can be tuned for a range of prop speeds and functions. theres alot to it. Just try em all if you can.
    Kurtis500
    I sent you a Pm, I was still looking for one of your pans.
    Brian

Fiat48
    Just a note here. I know of 2 Sanger hydro's who have tried several 3 blade props of different configurations and both of them ended up going back to a 2 blade. They both said the boats get crazy on them with the three blade props.

Kurtis500
    Kurtis500
    I sent you a Pm, I was still looking for one of your pans.
    Brian
    :sleeping: :sleeping: My bad. My head is rising above the water now that my arm is getting better. Parts are going out the door for catch-up on existing accounts. If your patient enough, you wont regret the pan.. Second to none...I promise.
    4+ months of no right arm was a recipe for getting behind.

wsuwrhr
    :sleeping: :sleeping: My bad. My head is rising above the water now that my arm is getting better. Parts are going out the door for catch-up on existing accounts. If your patient enough, you wont regret the pan.. Second to none...I promise.
    4+ months of no right arm was a recipe for getting behind.
    Yes sir, dammit if I just found the thread and replied to it.
    Cool deal, I am a little away from needing a pan, I was just checkin up to see how everything was going.
    I can't wait.
    Brian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast