Thread: 455 Ignition / Timing

455Olds
    Anyone that's been reading this lately has probably seen my name everywhere with questions... simply because I've got a lot of 'em and everyones been throwing around some good suggestions. Thanks so far.
    I've had a problem finding a distributor with a diameter small enough to squeeze past my offenhauser tunnel ram. What are olds guys typically running? Distributor/Ignition Box/Coil... etc. (PN?)
    Any ideas on timing? Everything I've read suggests about 10-12°... I've fiddled with this like crazy. I keep getting a loud popping noise when I crank on it. I thought this was detonation, and ran premium fuel... just about cleared it up, but not quite, octane-in-a-can also helps but does not eliminate the problem. Am I over advanced? Am I simply out running the ancient point/condensor distributor?
    18' Marlin, 455 Olds, Berk 12JC, Dual H650's, Offy Tunnel Ram
    1977 455 Olds

Snorider
    Try setting the base to 8 and see what happens. At high rpm, you should have no more than about 36 of advance.
    If the timing is too retarded, it wont idle properly, and will feel sluggish. If it is too far advanced, it will either backfire / pop, make weird noises when starting the motor, and ping - all of which are bad for the pistons.

Floored
    my stock gm single point cleared my tunnel ram, my hei didn't. with my tunnel I had to run lots of initial advance to get a good idle, traded tunnel for torker and dropped back to 10 deg and idle and response came back.

Moneypitt
    There is also an issue with WHEN the timing comes in. You need to screw down the point plate in the dist. and remove the vac adv. put a weight and spring kit in it and set it to a given degree, (say 32 degrees) at 3000. then see where the initial is at an idle. Play with the spring combos to reach the max, 30-32, and still have an initial at about 8 -10. If you try to use the vac adv and the springs you will chase your tail. remove the vac and screw down the point plate, it may take a little time to dial it in, but when you're done you will have a boat that performs thru the rpm range, good bottom, good mid range, and good top end. Remember, the advance is a crutch to allow the engine to increase rpm when loaded down, and once you are in to the rpm power curve of the engine, it starts to loaf and doesn't need additional advance, hence all in by 3000. A quick advance will pull skiers up easier. Hope this helps you.....Moneypitt