Thread: How tight?....

BBB
    ...Do I tighten my trailer axle bearings?
    Thx.
    BBB

Moneypitt
    There are several opinions conserning this subject. I will give you mine. Tighten axle nut snug, just till it sees some resistance, then back it off to align the cotter key. Spin the wheel, it should run free, no hard spots, just spin freely. With proper bearing lube, you're good to go. After 25 to 50 miles, pull off and walk around the trailer placing you hand on the wheels near the bearing. A little warm is OK, but hot is not. Remember to give the bearings a pump or 2 after leaving the water. Watch the inside of the wheel for signs of seal failure,(grease), and plan on seasonal maintainance each year...MP

I do basically the same as Moneypitt, but with a couple extra steps.
    Initially, I tighten the bearings pretty snug and rotate the wheel a few times. This helps center tha bearings. I then back the nut off "loose" and retighten "snug". Back it off to the first the first slot. Before inserting cotter pin, make sure you can just move the washer back and forth while pushing on it with a small screwdriver. If washer just moves, your OK. If it doesn't move, loosen to the next slot and recheck the washer. Install cotter pin.

76BARRON
    There are several opinions conserning this subject. I will give you mine. Tighten axle nut snug, just till it sees some resistance, then back it off to align the cotter key. Spin the wheel, it should run free, no hard spots, just spin freely. With proper bearing lube, you're good to go. After 25 to 50 miles, pull off and walk around the trailer placing you hand on the wheels near the bearing. A little warm is OK, but hot is not. Remember to give the bearings a pump or 2 after leaving the water. Watch the inside of the wheel for signs of seal failure,(grease), and plan on seasonal maintainance each year...MP
    I like to give it a shot of grease BERORE going into the water! As warm hub's will contract when submerged in cool water and will then suck water thru seals into hub's