Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shoes

Mohavekid
    I recently put on shoe and ride plate kit from Hi-Tech on my berk "e" pump in my Sanger 20.5 Mini-cruiser.
    The idea was to cure the nasty porpoise I have at mid range speeds. I still have the porpoise, and I now have some handling quirks when letting off the gas after a high speed run. As I let off the gas, the boat will get very squirrely and try to turn one way or the other.
    Is this caused by the shoe? The shoe has no shims under it, and it is roughly even with the rest of the keel due to the recessed nature of the "e" pump installation.
    Do any of you pump guru's have some thoughts on causes or solutions?

cyclone
    I recently put on shoe and ride plate kit from Hi-Tech on my berk "e" pump in my Sanger 20.5 Mini-cruiser.
    The idea was to cure the nasty porpoise I have at mid range speeds. I still have the porpoise, and I now have some handling quirks when letting off the gas after a high speed run. As I let off the gas, the boat will get very squirrely and try to turn one way or the other.
    Is this caused by the shoe? The shoe has no shims under it, and it is roughly even with the rest of the keel due to the recessed nature of the "e" pump installation.
    Do any of you pump guru's have some thoughts on causes or solutions?
    Put a 3-4-foot long straight edge on the keel and verify that the leading edge of the shoe is indeed above the keel line. Its a good place to start. If the edge is below the keel line then your boat will buck and hook when letting off the gas. Might be the condition you're describing. Another problem might be that your ride plate angle is too great and the boat is falling off the keel at high speeds. Verify the ride plate angle using an angle finder that is zero'd against the flat part of the shoe. If its more than 4 degrees it might be causing your handling issues especially if you are driving with a place diverter or other trim device in the up position. You might want to call Duane since he sold you the parts.

Mohavekid
    Thanks.
    The shoe does stick down about a 1/16 of an inch below the keel. I have tried adjusting the plate up and down by using washers between the plate and cradle with no real difference. It is currently set at 0*. Raising the plate only makes the mid range porpoise worse, and it takes longer to settle down when you hammer it. Lowering the plate does not eliminate the porpoise.
    Here's a couple of pics of my wife playing with it yesterday.
    http://www2.***boat.com/image_center...77100_6684.JPG
    http://www2.***boat.com/image_center...77100_6685.JPG

Duane HTP
    Start grinding off of the bottom of the shoe until the leading edge of the shoe is even with the keel. Try this first and let us know what happens. There are no two of those kind of pumps installed at the same level. It will take some tweeking.

Mohavekid
    Thanks for answering my post Duane.
    When you say grind the shoe, do you mean the side that bolts to the pump making the entire shoe thinner, or the side that faces the floor, just grinding on the leading edge??

Mohavekid
    Anybody else with thoughts?

Duane HTP
    Grind up from the floor side. Make the biting edge of the shoe higher in the boat. (above keel line a little). Also check your PM.

Mohavekid
    Floor side. Got it.
    Just on the biting edge or should I grind the outer edges too?
    Got your PM. Thanks, I'll get back to you once I get a cheap split bowl.

Duane HTP
    Try the biting edge only first. Then go to removing the two guide runners later. One thing at a time, you know.

Mohavekid
    Thanks Duane.
    I'll pull it off next week and start the metal flying.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast