Thread: won't idle correctly

h2ojet001
    The problem is I can't get it to idle down below 1200 rpm. I have read some of the previous posts on this subject and know it can be a vacuum leak or the float level too low. Until I get one of the float bowl screw threads fixed I can't try anything. Before I shut it down because of the fuel leak I did hear a whistling sound coming from the carb area but I was unable to locate it. The fuel in the float bowl is about an 1/8" below the sight hole. Does that sound to low and could it possibly cause my problem.
    In regards to the timing I have an MSD system and in the distributor I am using the black spacer which set the mechanical at 18*. Do I set the total advance first and then check to see what the initial is set at. With the idle not working properly my advance curve is already so I can't get an accurate reading. I feel like I am stuck between a rock and a hard place. When using a timing light with the inductive coupling is it necessary to connect it close to the plug or can it connected midway between the dist and plug? Thanks for any help
    Barry

get the main body screw hole fixed 1st...there should be a Grainger near u...if not...there's 1 in Irwindale off of Arrow Hwy...ph# in the book...the fuel level should just trickle out of the sight plug hole when at idle...u can connect the timing lite lead anywhere on the spark plug...i know nothing about MSD's...i dont use them...just trying to help
    fastrat

SmokinLowriderSS
    Get the carb levels fixed.........
    Then double check your idle mixtures and find any vac leaks. A can of carb cleaner or WD-40 helps to spray suspect spots. Make sure no vac. ports got left unsealed.
    Worry about timing once you get it to idle.

h2ojet001
    Fortunately I work next to a machine shop that does work for the government and he was able to point me in the right direction to get the heli coil kit. Should have it tomorrow. When I have it back together I will try all the above mentioned things. Thanks for the info.
    Barry

h2ojet001
    I got it working. It was the fuel level in the float bowl. An 1/8" of an inch sure does make a big difference in the fuel level and how it idles/or doesn't. I think I am ready to see if it floats and hauls a$$. This link has a good explanation of how the idle circuits work it helped me understand why I had the problem with the idle.
    http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/ho...38/index1.html