Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replacement distributor suggestions?

79Hawaiian
    I have been thinking about replacing my old points distributor with a MSD pointless electronic. I looked at the marine product they offer but the distributor and ignition module run $635 plus tax. I have been looking at the automotive MSD 8350 instead, it has an integrated ignition module that eliminates the need for an external module. It runs around $280. Only problem is this one comes with a vacuum advance. My current distributor runs a mechanical advance only.
    I was wondering what the advantage/disadvantage of running a vacuum advance and if anyone has any experience with these distributors. If anyone can suggest something better for around the same money I would be willing to listen!
    My engine is fairly stock, mild cam, Edelbrock performer dual plane mani, holley 650, water logg exhaust.
    Also I assume I remove my ballast resistor with the pointless setup???

blowngas
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by 79Hawaiian:
    [QB]I have been thinking about replacing my old points distributor
    For what you are running, go with a mallory unilite mechanical advance distributor---its pretty much a drop in piece--reliable, will still work with motor build up, just use hotter coil--ran one in a 427 roller turning 8000 rpm's--- picked up one for the lake boat off of ebay for $100 in really nice condition--surf some of the various race board parts classified for some good bargains

waterslinger
    The MSD standalone car dist. is what you need.
    It comes with a vac. advance block off plate.
    A full set of springs are in the deal so you can set the advance rate and total advance for your
    boat. Used is OK if you know what you are getting.
    I have a MSD in my boat and it works good and looks great.

79Hawaiian
    Waterslinger,
    Good to hear you have had good results. Did you change the advance or leave it with the factory settings?

djdtpr
    For alot less money u can go get a standard HEI ignition for it that would work perfect.

SchellSchock
    Go to www.summitracing.com look at the Summit racing HEI distributors. Less than 2 bills good all the way to 7500 rpm. Put one in my 65 pickup with a transplanted, built, 66' Vette 427. Reliable, easy conversion, buit in HighOutput coil and module, adjustable with weights etc.

79Hawaiian
    Sorry guys, I forgot one piece of info... Im running a Ford 460. HEI I believe is a GM technology.

BOFH
    The bigest problem with useing a auto distributor is either blowing up (not spark protected) or a big @ss fine! Let's face it... If the cop is pissed/envious at/of your boat, a 5 bill fine may be just what he is looking for.
    Now, what is wrong with your distributor? If it is just you want to loose the points, go with a PerTronix II ignition. They are neat and tidy, and cheap. Also, since they fit inside the distributor, and the distributor is sealed, no explosion. (or fine) I have run them on 2 boats, and 3 race cars. Never had any trouble.
    If you have shaft wobble, you need a new distributor. However, older distributers with points may be so much cheaper that they will save enough for the PerTronix and a 6 pack. :-)
    As to the vac., usually it is 4-6 degrees retard at low vac., and all out at high vac. The idea being to stop ping. Of course, the hose can split leading to a fume leak, and a boom. This is why there are no marine distributers with a vac. "advance" on them.

79Hawaiian
    The reason I want to replace the existing distributor is that 1) The cap/rotor/points/condenser are not that easy to find any more, it uses a set from a 1951 Dodge pickup. Don't ask, I don't know why. 2) The insides of the distributor have some rust and I am not sure if the advance is working properly. 3) Everyone tells me they get better performance and reliability with the pointless setup. 4) The billet jobs look real nice!
    I am already in violation of the coast guard requirements. I replaced the carb with an automotive carb. I seems unlikely I could have a buildup of fumes as the engine is uncovered but of course anything is possible. I have been trying to find out what is unique between the marine and auto distributor, looks like vent baffles only. The MSD product with external ignition module is different as the module is coated with waterproofing.
    I will check for shaft wobble, I am not sure if it is an issue or not.

djdtpr
    I will try and find the number for a place called DUI they make hei distributors for fords i put one on a customers boat and it ran great.It also get's rid of all the nasty wires hanging from everywherejust like a gm hei but with a ford shaft on it.And u only need two wires 1 for the hot leed and 1 for the tach.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast