Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taking multiple pressure readings instead of just one--Hmmm??

DeputyDawg
    I was walking around one of my buddies boats tonight that is being slowly but surely turned into a drag boat and I had a thought. Why not take more than one pump pressure measurement in different places instead of the standard location in the suction housing? Would it not be beneficial to know what pressures were at different areas, i.e. impeller top/bottom, intake and exit side. There is a company that makes some pretty small pressure taps that could be used so that you could get away with drilling very small holes. What do y'all think? He will be running data aquisition.

Duane HTP
    Yes, we take computer readings at four places around the throat of the pump. It really helps when working with top loaders.

DeputyDawg
    Thanks Duane. Would it make sense to take any exit side measurements?

wsuwrhr
    I was walking around one of my buddies boats tonight that is being slowly but surely turned into a drag boat and I had a thought. Why not take more than one pump pressure measurement in different places instead of the standard location in the suction housing? Would it not be beneficial to know what pressures were at different areas, i.e. impeller top/bottom, intake and exit side. There is a company that makes some pretty small pressure taps that could be used so that you could get away with drilling very small holes. What do y'all think? He will be running data aquisition.
    Jack at MPD told me the same thing when I asked him about the significance of bowl pressure.
    What he told me about the pressures was interesting. Like an ass I never did any of it though, at least not yet.
    Brian

cyclone
    in my case i only have a data system capable of reading from two sensors. i got one on the bowl and one on the suction housing. if i had a more elaborate data recorder then i'd tap into other places. in the end its all about how much you want to spend i think. those little sensors aint cheap.

top and bottom would be nice, Ive got one in the middle. Excellent tuning tool, so are the speed pick ups.

DeputyDawg
    Now I just need to figure out the best places to put the sensors. cs19, what do you mean by "speed pick ups"?

deputy, its only money.If you want 15 inlet pressure sensors, so be it. Its all do-able if you have the money to throw at it.
    speed pick ups are just that, its a pitot tube the hangs down below the transom and picks up water, the reading (speed) is based off pressure.You can see your mph throughout an entire run, whats nice is you can overlay it with the previous run to see where the boat was better, it really helps when making changes.99% of us get our data systems through MPD.

deputy, the sensors will be mounted safely in the boat somewhere dry and away from noisy electronics. What you need to figure out is where to put the data ports.

DeputyDawg
    Got cha.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast