Thread: Childhood memories paved over

Backfire
    In 1962, my grandparents established a 30 acre horse ranch on the (then) outskirts of Hemet, California. For all but the last year of my grandma's life, "the ranch" was the family gathering spot and the place where I visited her. The property was sold about ten years ago and I really didn't think about it much.
    This week I was in Hemet to visit my parents, and on my way out, I decide to drive by "the ranch" to see what state of development it was in, and the whole area had been so transformed, that I was almost unable to figure out exactly where it had been. WTF?! What are people able to do for a living in Hemet that so many new houses are able to sell?
    I gotta admit that I wasn't prepared to be depressed about having major childhood memories paved over. I wasn't even aware that I cared!
    Has anyone else had this experience?

riverroyal
    living in hemet works there,big commute.

Sportin' Wood
    In 1962, my grandparents established a 30 acre horse ranch on the (then) outskirts of Hemet, California. For all but the last year of my grandma's life, "the ranch" was the family gathering spot and the place where I visited her. The property was sold about ten years ago and I really didn't think about it much.
    This week I was in Hemet to visit my parents, and on my way out, I decide to drive by "the ranch" to see what state of development it was in, and the whole area had been so transformed, that I was almost unable to figure out exactly where it had been. WTF?! What are people able to do for a living in Hemet that so many new houses are able to sell?
    I gotta admit that I wasn't prepared to be depressed about having major childhood memories paved over. I wasn't even aware that I cared!
    Has anyone else had this experience?
    Yep!
    I live it every day. Been in menifee almost my whole life. ( since 73) All the spots I rode, rocks I climbed and tree's we used to play in are disappearing. On top of that they are trying to get my place. Where we once could count the cars that passed on one hand, is now a traffic jam. I knew it was comming, and I make a living on progress but its still a bummer. I just hope to make it 10 more years so I can retire to Utah after the kids get out!

Sanger D
    I grew up in IDYLLWILD and man its totaly changed,I know how you feel,I also lived in HELLMET, cops there suck and the meth heads there are in full force, or ( used to be),did you know that theres more money in the banks on FLORIDA ave then on WALL STREET!!!!! true and factual!!!very weird town.!!!

OGShocker
    I grew up in Baldwin Park. Someone needs to pave that s**t box over. :hammer2:

ahhell
    Yep, watched the 60 fwy go right thru grammas backyard (60 and eastend ave) never was quite the same

Sportin' Wood
    Yep, watched the 60 fwy go right thru grammas backyard (60 and eastend ave) never was quite the same
    Yea, some how easter egg hunts just would not be the same

spectratoad
    I get that here in Reno too. Everywhere I used to ride or hike you now have to go around or can't get to because a new development is built. I lve in one of the "suburbs" near where I grew up and it has not been touched yet but houses going up all around.
    The property behind me is BLM so far and I can at least ride the ATV's from the house for now.
    Sucks to see it all get developed. :messedup: