Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Need Help With A Decision

'78 gt boat
    Ok, so here is my delima. New to jet boats, boats period. Grew up with the but never owned one. I recently bought a 78 BBC with berkley jet, droop snoop, and a ride plate. 454 BB with Wieand tunnel, dual carters and ols school S&S wet headers. Took it out for 20 minutes and had water in the oil. I was'nt sure of the problem so I took it back to Olympic boats where I bought it from. Paid $3600 after tax for the thing. The company has sat on the boat for three weeks and never changed the oil. It now has rust on the cam, lifters and possibly the cylinders. They only want to put new head gaskets on it and give it back to me. It's not the gaskets it's the plumbing on the boat.They will not agree that the rust got there from the boat sitting with water in the engine. The other option is to give me a 77 Spectre 18' jet. 455 olds berkley jet and TT exhaust. I have not seen the Spectre but am going today. My question to the group is........ What would you do? Please, guys and gals I need some advice.

Dribble
    The boat you have sounds like a better boat. $3600.00 is cheap. Fix it yourself if you can't get them to fix it..

Redneck
    Ok, so here is my delima. New to jet boats, boats period. Grew up with the but never owned one. I recently bought a 78 BBC with berkley jet, droop snoop, and a ride plate. 454 BB with Wieand tunnel, dual carters and ols school S&S wet headers. Took it out for 20 minutes and had water in the oil. I was'nt sure of the problem so I took it back to Olympic boats where I bought it from. Paid $3600 after tax for the thing. The company has sat on the boat for three weeks and never changed the oil. It now has rust on the cam, lifters and possibly the cylinders. They only want to put new head gaskets on it and give it back to me. It's not the gaskets it's the plumbing on the boat.They will not agree that the rust got there from the boat sitting with water in the engine. The other option is to give me a 77 Spectre 18' jet. 455 olds berkley jet and TT exhaust. I have not seen the Spectre but am going today. My question to the group is........ What would you do? Please, guys and gals I need some advice.
    buy my boat lol

crf311
    Or try and get your money back if they won't fix it to you satisifaction.

HOOTER SLED-
    BBC over Olds anyday. Coming from someone who has had both.

'78 gt boat
    they are gonna give me the other one for the same price and no engine problems. can you get as much performance out of an olds as you can from a chevy? I will have pics of both later today.

sleekvino
    i'd stay away from the olds its nothing but trouble if you want anything besides bone stock.

HOOTER SLED-
    they are gonna give me the other one for the same price and no engine problems. can you get as much performance out of an olds as you can from a chevy? I will have pics of both later today.
    Chevy gonna be more reliable and go the distance. Olds have oil problems. Went through about 3 blocks myself. The return galleys on the heads are big and the oil does not return fast enough. You'll need a restrictor kit to HELP overcome the problem. BBC parts are more available. And you can do just about anything to build them up. Keep in mind the type and condition of the hull as well. You're gonna have to balance everything out and weigh your options. Berkeley before Jacuzzi too.
    Better yet, oil stays up top in them Olds.

'78 gt boat
    here is the boat I currently have. It is in this posthttp://www2.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86531&highlight=puzzled

SummitKarl
    we talked earlier, that boat you bought is SWEET!!!!!!!!! and you got it really for $5k less than you should have.
    surface rust won't hurt, it will go away real fast, it's only been a week so it's should be just mineral deposit's right now, I know you know cars so you got the knowledge, fix the plumbing, run the hell out of the boat and no matter what even if you blow that motor up the hull and pump are worth as much if not more than what you paid, post the pic's so others know what I mean. for your first boat you made one hell of a good buy.
    someone on the board is bound to live near you, and boaters ALWAYS WORK FOR BEER and help each other.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast