My local village, McCullum Lake has recently encountered a few issues. Back in the 70's a few local Corps, a chemical plants, radiator manu. and plastics company decided it was cheaper to just Dump their poisons in our ground water. this has led to a class action lawsuit stemming from a few locals coming down with brain cancer and other forms of cancer and various health issues.
Not only has this depreciated my home and all surrounding houses, but all the new houses that were recently built and had contracts written on them are now cancelled.
2 years ago our village idiots thought it was a great idea to put in sewers but no water. After the sewers were built we had all new roads installed and now our ground water is at risk. more to come as this festers a little further.
This interview is from My neighbor I bought my engagement ring from. Bryan Freund is our local jeweler and is a very nice neighbor. his house less then 1k ft. away from mine. His house is also closest to the dump sites in our village. My neighbor being interviewed (http://cbs2chicago.com/local/local_story_115225741.html)