Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine Builders in East Bay

round2
    Hi all,
    I am looking for a reliable engine builder around the Oakland, CA. area. I have a 1980 21' cruiser Hallett w/berkeley pump. It is all original. Nothing has been touched on the motor/pump except the distributor/ignition system. I have GPS'd the boat at 54mph. My goal is to run 70 mph. My budget is 4k to 5k. Is this do-able with my budget. I mainly use my boat at Berryessa and the Delta.

Bailey
    Morgan's is building my motor know, Great place Tim's a great guy. There in walnut creek ca. 925-939-7346

DeputyDawg
    Well, 16mph is a pretty tall order for 4-5 grand in a 21' cruiser. You will probably have to address someother areas of the boat as well. First and foremost is the bottom of the boat good and straight or does it have any hook in it. If it has a lot of hook it will kill performance and eat up a lot of horsepower. Is the pump fresh or is it tired and in need of a rebuild. You will also want to add a diverter if you don't already have one in order to be able to trim the boat properly to free it up some. You most likely will also want to run a droop snoot or even a straight snoot like the one Hi-Tech Performance makes to lift the tail of that big heavy sucker a bit. You should be able to have a decent motor built using your engine with cam, valve train and induction system(carb/intake). Depending on what heads you have there could be some pretty big power gains in that department if you have the little peanut port heads. What engine do you have and what heads are on it?

sleekvino
    morgans is over priced go to tri valley machine

round2
    My boat does not have a droop snoot or a diverter and the pump probably needs a rebuild too. Do any of these shops sell new engines that have been dyno'd and tuned already? What type of horsepower would i need to obtain 70mph on my cruiser. It sounds like I might have to raise my budjet a lil bit. Has any of you heard of S & S machine in San Leandro? If so, are they good and reasonable? I actually live down the street from this shop and saw it earlier today. I am very new to the hot boat scene and I am so thankful for all tips and advises. Oh I have heads with the oval port.

S&S Automotive in San Leandro....good shop and no bullshit. 510-357-9041. Been building and racing Chevys longer than most have been alive. Just don't go there with an additude or they will show you the door.

round2
    058- do you mean S & S machine or S & S Automotive because both of these shops are a block from each other. The Automotive shop also has a muffler shop next to it. I asked one of my buddies and he said they are two different shops. The machine shop does engines only and the automotive shop does everything from tune ups, brakes, to full race engines.

Bobbo541
    George and Ricky Santos at S&S in San Leandro know there stuff.

LakesOnly
    058- do you mean S & S machine or S & S Automotive because both of these shops are a block from each other. The Automotive shop also has a muffler shop next to it. I asked one of my buddies and he said they are two different shops. The machine shop does engines only and the automotive shop does everything from tune ups, brakes, to full race engines.
    058 means this place: S & S Automotive & Machine, San Leandro (510) 357-9041
    OR
    Alternate: Al Hubbard Machine, 21030 Meekland Ave. Hayward. 510-537-1885
    LO

round2
    I have spoke to Rick and George @ S&S and they seem like good people. Is there such a thing called warranty with machine shops? Rick and George advised me that I would probably need 700 to 800hp to run 70+mph on such a heavy boat (21' hallett). Now that I have a reality check, I am just looking to get my boat on the water with decent power and reliabity. I will be having S&S rebuild my motor and I shall let all of you know how it goes. Also is CP Performance a good shop to take my boat and have my pump rebuilt? Is there a shop that is closer than CP? So sorry for all the questions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast