Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pump is not cooling engine

Statue
    Guys, I'm new to jets...... 21' 1977 charger mini day cruiser, 460 Ford Berkeley pump. was a freseh motor until about a week ago. I have overheated it for the last time. There is NO water coming from the pump to the engine. When the boat is turned off, water flows freely through the barb fitting on the pump, but nothing when it's running. I am stumped and real temped to convert the boat to an outboard. I like the ride and hulldesign but have just about had it with the problems. Any help is appreciated.
    thanks, wes

DeputyDawg
    I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to say. When you said that with the motor off water flows freely from the barb on the pump what do you mean? If the jet pump isn't spinning it can't be flowing water. Or are you saying that you unhooked the supply line from the jet pump and hooked up a hose to it and it flowed through fine, but when it is hooked up to the pump and running in the water it isn't moving water? If that is the case pull the bowl off the pump and have a look around, something is clogging it up in there blocking off the supply outlet.

bakerjet
    thats pretty weird! need to check out your pump fo sho get some pics. of your impeller thru the suction piece and lets start there lots of good info here you'll figure it out,but don't go hangin a whacker on it!

Danhercules
    I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to say. When you said that with the motor off water flows freely from the barb on the pump what do you mean? If the jet pump isn't spinning it can't be flowing water. Or are you saying that you unhooked the supply line from the jet pump and hooked up a hose to it and it flowed through fine, but when it is hooked up to the pump and running in the water it isn't moving water? If that is the case pull the bowl off the pump and have a look around, something is clogging it up in there blocking off the supply outlet.
    Sounds to me like he undid the fitting while in the water, and water came in, showing that its not clogged. Now if he started the motor up, with out the cooling hose connected, and no water came out, then sounds like a pump problem to me.

Statue
    On the hose coming from the baeb fitting on the jet, there is a hose junction so that I can attach a garden hose and start it out of the water. I unsrewed this coupler to check for water and it is definetly not clogged.

hack job
    is there a ball valve or gate valve off the pump if so it might be closed and that would cause your issue .
    it would look like a hose bib . or like this
    http://imagex.homedepot.com/f/248/13...88074057_3.jpg

Floored
    It may be trying to airlock. do you have a droop snoot? Mine won't pump until I bleed the air out at the hose bib inside the boat then start it up

On the hose coming from the baeb fitting on the jet, there is a hose junction so that I can attach a garden hose and start it out of the water. I unsrewed this coupler to check for water and it is definetly not clogged.
    I'm sure that this is just a symantics thing (the way it's worded). Are you running the boat OUT of the water and trying to figure out why there's no water from the pump to the motor? Excuse me if the question sounds stupid.
    The wording is a little confusing though. Could you elaborate some.
    The pump is a super simple piece. If the boat moves when you're in the water and the motor is running, then the pump is working. If you don't have any water flowing from the pump to the motor when it's in the water and running, there's blockage somewhere. It can't pump water out the back (the propulsion part) without pumping it towards the motor too.
    Both these functions are part of the same action. It's not two separate deals.

Statue
    Squirtcha, Here's the whole story....... I bought this boat with a blown up (overheated 460). I installed a completely rebuilt 460 long block. I broke in the cam @2600rpm in my driveway for 30 minutes. I had two garden hoses, one attached to the coupler on the water inlet hose to cool the motor and one in the access/clean out hole on the pump. The boat never exceeded 155 degrees during breakin.
    The next day, I took it to the lake (Perris Yuck!!!) it ran at about 150 for 20 minutes when the guage suddenly shot up to 240 and the block sounded like it was cooking bacon!!!! I let it cool and limped it back in. The engine was making a rattling noise so I got towed back in and removed the valve covers. One rocker arm came loose and dropped a pushrod. Fixed it, no problem. I took it out again and at idle it ran cool but as I got into it it quickly overheated. I unhooked the lines coming from waterneck/outlet and it just puored steam.
    I took it home and hooked it up to a hose and it ran cold again but by this time the bearing in the bottom end were done. I decided to take it out yesterday (first installed new clear hose on all water lines) and had the same problem except now there was no water at even idle coming from the pump.
    Lost my temper and ran it anyway. It lasted about 3 minutes and then siezed.
    Thats the deal. Nothing in the block or hoses is clogged, with a garden hose water circulates correctly with no heating issues. When the boat is turned off in the water, water flows freely through barb fitting on the pump. When it is running in the water, nothing comes through the barb fitting. Sorry to be long winded, just wanted to try and clarify my problem.
    Thanks, Wes

RandyH
    I cooked mine on the trailer once , just sitting in the water. Checking timing and advance curves. The pump cavitated and was not building pressure and hence not pumping water into the block.
    But you said you had it out in the water and where limping along. So you must have had enough pressure in the bowl to flow to the block. Its got to be something simple. Its baffling to me. There should be some pressure from the barb fitting.
    Good Luck,
    RandyH

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast