Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 460 no run

Tom Brown
    Blown 472:
    maybe you jumped a timming chain? That's a lot of cogs to jump for it to be 180 degrees out.
    [ May 13, 2003, 05:17 PM: Message edited by: Tom Brown ]

If you have room in front of the motor for a puller, it can be done. If you have a typical 4 point mount, you'll have to remove the harmonic damper (keyed press), the front motor plate, then the timing cover. The trick is supporting the engine to remove the front motor plate. One question though. Have you tried cranking the engine with the cap off to SEE the rotor turn? You said it's 180 out, but unless you know what stroke it's on, that may be a bad assumption. I doubt you'll find a problem internally.

hoolign
    Well by turning over the motor by hand,i can see the distributer drive gear turnung,it's ok,distributer gear is ok,so all it can be is the timing chain..yes or no
    the berk plate is the water inlet/outlet plus timing cover all one piece,the balancer is slip on but i dont have enough room for a conventional puller,so i'm going to weld one up at the shop tommorow,and the distributer was 180 deg out

Hooligan, before you take anything apart, it is highly unusual to find a distributor exactly 180 degrees off as a result of ANY problem. I highly suspect you have the engine at TDC exhaust not TDC compression. Go back to square one and verify TDC compression stroke for #1 cylinder.
    If you have a points distributor, you dont have a module. I would investigate the condition of points, condensor and ballast resistor before even thinking about any engine disassembly.
    [ May 13, 2003, 06:05 PM: Message edited by: OLDSQUIRT ]

canuck1
    By dialing a code into my cell phone I can shut your boat off from anywhere I want. Today just happened to be the gents club Give me a call and we'll drink your sorrows away

hoolign
    why did'nt ya give me a shout? ya bastard hey maybe try dialing "selfdestruct" nevermind just shutting it off

hoolign
    Well i'm here to learn...old squirt,i'll double check tommorow!and thanx for the input from all,
    except you Tom, first you give me the buisness in your little club, then you want to fight..

Fiat48
    To verify the timing: Remove the #1 valve cover (that's the valve cover on your left when you are facing the harmonic balancer). Remove the #1 spark plug. Put your thumb over the spark plug hole and tap the engine over till it blows pressure against your thumb. Line up the timing marks on the balancer. Both valves on #1 should be closed. If not, you're on the wrong stroke. Rotor should be pointing to #1 on the dist cap. If your cam timing was out 180 (doubtful), the engine would sound strange turning over, no compression or valves hitting pistons. Look at that roll pin real close. I have seen them break, the gear rolls around and lines up again with the hole.
    If you already know all this, sorry for repeating.
    [ May 13, 2003, 06:28 PM: Message edited by: Fiat48 ]

I'm with Fiat48 on this. If its a marine engine then it should have a Presto-lite or a Mallory distributer, both have junk mild steel roll pins and will shear. Check this before you go to the trouble of pulling the timing cover off. If its a sheared roll pin replace with a hardened steel pin available at most bearing supply houses like Bearing Engerring or King Bearing. Do not drill another hole 90deg from the orig hole to double pin the shaft as this will weaken it. On Accell distributers that use a larger roll pin I drive a smaller pin into the I.D. of the big pin just for insurance.

hoolign
    Ok..im an idiot..now thats out of the way
    both valves are closed its definitley on the compression stroke,the distributer wasnt out,
    are you talkin the roll pin on the distributer?one on the gear and one higher up,they both look ok,what do i check next

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast