Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Certified Open Water Diver...

Sherpa
    completed my course and Dive(s) required. It is a blast........ I have to say
    that diving in Monterey is awesome........... I never would have thought you
    could actually swim in the kelp....... it's cool........ suggest diving to anyone
    who is inclined to go under the water, instead of just on top of it.......
    now onto advanced open water diver, then possibly reach master scuba diver
    this next year.....
    --Sherpa

I Feel the Need...
    Congrats... I've been certified for 11 years, it's great. I also do alot of freediving. I went to Catalina on Sat. freediving and dove the kelp. I'ts really tranquil.

Sherpa
    I keep hearing about how catalina is THE place to lobster dive..... so, tell a
    northerner, is it the place, what does a guy need to bring, etc....
    thanks!
    --Sherpa

Slib77
    Congrats on getting certified. Monterey is a nice dive. Try the other side of Lovers Point. Huge spider crabs.
    Going to Catalina next week, I can't wait it's been over a year since I dove last.

Froggystyle
    I keep hearing about how catalina is THE place to lobster dive..... so, tell a
    northerner, is it the place, what does a guy need to bring, etc....
    thanks!
    --Sherpa
    Langosta actually... (California lobster variety)
    Catalina is great. I have HEARD that San Clemente Island has some lobster out there too. You just can't get them because it is a military reservation...
    Net, lobster gauge, flashlight and fishing liscense. Maybe we will take a trip out there with you. I have always wanted to dive for fun out there. I was always working whenever I went under the water. If you want to dive San Diego, I would be happy to take you out.
    Beware of the man in the grey suit though. He is out there... everywhere.

One Particular Harbor
    Congratulations on your certification!
    The diving in Catalina is very good, with much better conditions than SoCal shore diving (typically, visibility runs in the 60' to 100' range). You can find good lobster diving in Catalina, but some of the other channel islands are preferred.
    San Clemente has good bug hunting, especially on the back side. San Nicholas is my personal favorite, but it tends to be a bit more of an advanced dive due to currents and some exposed conditions. Best to get a few good dives under your belt first.
    BTW, we usually lobster dive at night, so getting used to night diving is also a good way to prepare for lobster diving. Getting used to diving with a light, handling game bags, and bug hunting all at once can be a bit overwhelming.
    Good luck and enjoy the diving.
    OPH

KACHINA KEN
    Langosta actually... (California lobster variety)
    Catalina is great. I have HEARD that San Clemente Island has some lobster out there too. You just can't get them because it is a military reservation...
    Net, lobster gauge, flashlight and fishing liscense. Maybe we will take a trip out there with you. I have always wanted to dive for fun out there. I was always working whenever I went under the water. If you want to dive San Diego, I would be happy to take you out.
    Beware of the man in the grey suit though. He is out there... everywhere.
    In Oct we need to get with one of HDD's charter buddies and get at it.

KACHINA KEN
    BTW I just got my hard card on Friday, stoked.

Sherpa
    Thanks guys for all the replies........... I had a great time... this was something I had always wanted to do, just never really thought strongly
    about signing up and doing it....... glad I did. Thanks Wes for the invite.
    I'd like to go dive SD sometime.... I need to get a wet suit ASAP... I've
    looked at Henderson Hyperstretch 7mm shortjon/bib combo..... I like it
    since it is soooo stretchy.. but a Monterey-local wet suit shop is recommending their custom-made suit services... the henderson is $460,
    and the hood is $60...
    Otter Bay's custom suit is like $570 including hood..... any recomendations?
    --thanks again!
    --Scott

Tom Slick
    I'm all signed up to start my certification courses next week. I'm really pumped, as I've always wanted to dive. Already have a trip planned to dive in Cabo in mid October. Should be lots of fun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast