Thread: Steel Crank

AZKC
    What are some ways to tell if a BBC crank is steel or cast? I have a crank that got pretty f'd up but if its a steel one I may get it fixed.
    KC

victorfb
    this was asked a while back. you can look further back on this forum. but basicaly its the parting lines. thin lines = cast, thicker (1/2") = forged steel. some say by taping it with a hammer and listen for a ring, but i dont like that concept. look at the parting lines. that should tell ya.

BigBoyToys
    Try checking the GM casting mumbers HERE That's how I usually check....just to make sure.

GofastRacer
    victorfb:
    this was asked a while back. you can look further back on this forum. but basicaly its the parting lines. thin lines = cast, thicker (1/2") = forged steel. some say by taping it with a hammer and listen for a ring, but i dont like that concept. look at the parting lines. that should tell ya. Tapping it is a good way to tell but, if you tap a steel crank and it don't sound off, you have a junker!..

Blown 472
    GofastRacer:
    victorfb:
    this was asked a while back. you can look further back on this forum. but basicaly its the parting lines. thin lines = cast, thicker (1/2") = forged steel. some say by taping it with a hammer and listen for a ring, but i dont like that concept. look at the parting lines. that should tell ya. Tapping it is a good way to tell but, if you tap a steel crank and it don't sound off, you have a junker!.. Junker, and chevy somehow I dont see these two words together.