Thread: roller rockers??

mach1 454
    i have a 1975 20ft mach1 with a 454 chevy and a berkley pump. the engine is basically stock except for the cam and the intake and carb. the cam is a mild cam with a semi lumpy idle(not sure what lift). the intake is a edlebrock topped off with a carter 650 http://free.***boat.net/ubb/frown.gif
    i know thats a pretty damn small carb. my question is, would roller rockers make a difference in performane wise and how much horsepower and speed would i pick up? and also would a 750 holly vacume seconderies make a difference? how much speed and horsepower could i pick up if any with the bigger carb and roller rockers? any help would be nice! thanx
    mach1 454

77charger
    rockers arent going to make that much difference esp.for the price.The holley carb will help more i'd prefer the double pumper model over the secondaries.i have a vac seondaries 750 it works well after mods(spring kit and a rear metering block)but i got the carb for free.But if i were to buy new i'd get the dp.

mach1 454
    Originally posted by 77charger:
    rockers arent going to make that much difference esp.for the price.The holley carb will help more i'd prefer the double pumper model over the secondaries.i have a vac seondaries 750 it works well after mods(spring kit and a rear metering block)but i got the carb for free.But if i were to buy new i'd get the dp.
    thats what the carb is. its a holly double pumper with vacume secondaries 750. will it make a big differince? thanx
    mach1 454

77charger
    a double pumper is not a vacum secondarie carb.if it is a double pumper it will have mechanical secondaries.If you have the vac.secondarie model get a rear metering block which will allow you to make jetting adjustments to the secondaries.overall it will help.

Hotcrusader76
    MACH1,
    Vacuum secondary carbs (Holley 750 3310's) would work great on your set-up. I agree in that you need to set it up correctly such as secondary metering block reconfig. and some massageing of the idling circuits. Fortunately I have a side business selling rebuilt and modified holley carbs that I build with any color, config., or mods you desire. Go to Ebay and look up user ID tpc_racing or search under Holley 750 Bracket Warrior.

1stepcloser
    Roller rocker arms will reduce friction in the valve train and (theoretically) increase horsepower. I'm sure you have seen ad's claiming 15-25 HP. I doubt that, But they are a good idea for their wear reducing qualities. However for the money, I would first replace that carb with something like a 750-800 cfm mechanical secondary holley piece. The mechanical secondary version will really wake up your bottom end and midrange when you snap the throttle open. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif

rivercrazy
    I'd ditch the Vac Sec carb. Get a duel feed double pumper mech secondary set up of 800-850 cfm. You will notice a difference. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif

BOFH
    You never said what you are spinning. Where is all your power? A 454 flows 650 CFM assuming %100 volumetric efficiency. Most stock engines run %70, and highly tuned engines hit about %90, so it is really 450 to 600 CFM.
    Just making one thing better will do little to a balanced engine. Roller rockers may help a (very) little, but high ration rockers will help more. With the heads breathing better, you may spin a bit higher, and then a 750 will help as well.
    On carbs, you do NOT want a mechanical secondary, unless you are all out race. Vacuum secondaries have MUCH better driveability, and save a bunch in gas. Also, I like Carters over Holly, but that is personal preferance.

BOFH
    Ooops... All of that was calculated at 5000 rpm. Of course, if you spin it faster, you will use more air. I gues I should have said that in the first post. <DOH!>

schiada96
    A big advantage roller rockers have is reduced oil temp, that helps alot on valve spring life.