Thread: Intake manifold Torque question

CVX20Dustin
    Had my 460 rebuilt at a reputable machine shop. After the 4 time out I found water in my oil so I called the machine shop. They told me to check the intake and heads bolts. I ask them if I have a blowen head or intake gasket hows it on NOT THEM he said I should have check them. So I checked heads good intake had 5 loose bolts, 2 on one side and 3 on the other. I retightened the intake and then pulled the plug and the one side with 3 loose bolts had a wet plug. Ran a compression test all cylinders were close. Will keep an eye on it hopefully the gasket didn't get messed up. My question is if very thing was toqued properly should I have to check them.

kp216
    Yup. When I change gaskets, I'll check the bolts after about an hour of run time and they will need tightening.

Infomaniac
    If the engine has not been run you will need to go around all of the bolts once or twice before they will stay tight.
    I inform my customers to do so in case they do not know.
    Best thing for me to do is run the engine through one thermal cycle and retighten everything again myself. But cannot do this to every engine

Moneypitt
    I am always checking all the bolts in my boats. Just the nature of marine operation will loosen just about any fastener. (head bolts excepted). All the mounting bolts, the intake, exhaust, timing cover, drive line, and brackets. It always seems that something is loose. Using lock tite helps, but if you actually tighten a lock tited bolt, you break the bond. For this reason, just put the wrench on the bolt and lightly try to move it. If it moves tighten it up, but remember to remove and re lock tite it at a later time........After a single circle heat we always check all fasteners around the engine, and the rigging as well. It's just something about boats, they vibrate, and vibration will loosen fasteners alot faster than you think....MP

CVX20Dustin
    Thanks for the info.