Thread: Trailer Lights . . . . HELP!

HavasuDreamin'
    The Problem: All running lights work fine, but when I hit the brakes, ALL of my trailer lights go dead. When I let off the brakes, they come back on. Turn signals work, but the light on the other side flashes from dull to a little brighter almost as if it is cutting in and out (both sides have the same problem when the opposite blinker is on).
    The set-up: This is a 20-year old custom boat trailer in decent shape (aside from the lights). It is a box trailer with the wiring running trough the tube so I can't see the condition of the wiring. I have two lights out back, one on each side. Each light has two wicks. I assume one is for running lights and the other for turn signal and brakes. I also have four marker lights, two on each fender, one in front and one in back.
    My thinking is that I most likely have a wire or two mixed up . . almost as if the wire for my running lights is hooked up to my brake light wire, thus when I hit the brakes, all goes dead. However, I have tried every wire combination possible from my truck to my trailer and nothing works right. Or . . I might have a bad ground on my truck. However, the lights worked fine in the past and I haven't touched a thing (except it was repainted and for some reason I had a lot more slack . .able to extend my wire out the back of my truck a lot further when I got it back)?
    I have worked on this all day! Please help. I have resorted to drinking to ease my frustrations. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif
    I also posted this in the jet boat section since I didn't know where to go with this question?

ratso
    Your answer is in the jet forum.

Tinkerboater
    sounds like you lost your ground connection

hd i had that with my motorcycle trailer it was the ground.

Maverick
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by HavasuDreamin':
    [B]The Problem: All running lights work fine, but when I hit the brakes,
    Not even a hard question....
    you don't have a good ground on the side on which the signal is goofy. Scrap the ground wire at the frame and also ( if need be) at the light fixture.
    the system is "grounding" through your brake light bulb - but when you are putting power to that light - then still no ground ( or not enough).
    If I'm wrong let me know, ---- but I won't be on this one....