Thread: Powerglide

puck
    This is my first post (and boat) so please excuse my ignorance.
    I just purchased an 1982 Eliminator Offshore 25. It has a BBC (375hp) and a powerglide. I bought the boat with a blown tranny and have never had it out on the water. Took the tranny out tonight to find a sheared input shaft.
    So here is my question. How often am I going to use low gear? My trans builder (http://www.ptsnctb.com/) said he would lock out low gear and park and use high, neutral and reverse only. Does a heavier boat need more "gear" like a car would? Is it going to be good for 5mph zones etc? Should I leave low gear?
    Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Kindsvater Flat
    You would like reverse with a big boat like that wouldn't you?

puck
    You would like reverse with a big boat like that wouldn't you?
    Yes, I would just have high, neutral and reverse.

Fiat48
    Doubt you would ever use low gear. Most of them are 1.76 to 1 and that is just too low.

mondorally
    I have a 22' Schiada with a 2 speed powerglide and speedmaster #3 drive. The way the current gearing is setup, low is great for no-wake zones. In high, idling around the dock, the engine is pretty close to stalling, and if I kept up the revs it would probably be doing 10mph or so.
    The boat would be tough to drive at low speeds with high only. Also, it gets up on plane really easy being able to shift gears. Don't think I've tried it with high only. I'm sure it would get there, just no where near as quick.
    Justin

Highlimit9000
    I have a Powerglide in my Continental. I would keep low gear for no wake Zones as above post stated. If you just have drive, you will find yourself going to fast at idle in marina's...Just my 2 cents...Let me know if you have any other questions...John

puck
    Thanks for the info guys. I dropped the trans off at the builder today. I told him to keep low gear.
    What are people running for a shifter? I don't really like the fact that the ratcheting is just controlled by the detents in the trans. I would like some kind of reverse lockout.

mondorally
    I just picked this up from Rex Marine
    Rex Turbo 400 shifter (http://rexmar.com/page39.html)
    You'll have an extra forward gear detent but at least there is the pushbutton to prevent accidental shifting.
    Justin