Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 455 Olds Build Up for Charger Boat

Charger455
    Looking for a little guidance out there from you Olds Guys. And thank you in advance from the Chevy & Ford Guys, Love the 454 (Have a new one in my 69 Chevy short bed PU) and 302 (Have one in my one owner 85 GT Mustang with comp Cam, Manley pistons yadi yadi yadi) for your "just build a Chevy/Ford!!!!".
    Now, I will be running a 455 with 2.07 Valves, with stock rods (ARP bolts) Nodular crank, forged pistons (Deep dish unfortunately; 8;1 CR?) and balance asssembly planned, 10-11 qrt pan with upper oil restrictors and cap straps.
    Boats a 19.5 ft Charger weighing in at probably 1500-2000lbs???
    JE Berkley with probably an A impeller and a Place diverter.
    What can I expect and any suggestions????? :idea:

Squirtin Thunder
    The Olds is fine for now !!! But I would run a Berk "A2" impeller or a Legend "A". The RPMs are what kill those Oldses so keep them down.

Squirtin Thunder
    I would talk with Steve AKA PUMPkin on the www.Banderlog.com Board they have run there Olds for a long time !!!

malcolm
    Yeah, for a low compression 455 I'd build it for maximum grunt and put a big impeller in it. If you don't rev it past 4500 you don't need all the fancy oiling crap. A big pan would be cheap insurance though. All you need to turn a berk A to 4500 is around 300 hp, that should be pretty easy with an RV cam. An oil cooler would be a nice addition for the long high speed runs, I know I need one. I can watch the oil pressure gauge and tell when my oil has had enough. :wink:

Wally_Gator

HotDogz
    Get rid of the stock rocker assembly (aluminum) and replace with steel or better yet a set of roller rockers (1.6). Install restrictors in mains,lifters,cam and a set of restricted pushrods w/HV oil pump. Min. of 10qt oil pan w/cooler. If you have the coin, replace the heads with a set of Edelbrocks from Mondello @$1549 a set assembled. You will never get a set of iron heads to breathe like the Edelbrocks will right out of the box. They have a 77cc chamber which should bring the CR up a little also. For ignition, go MSD. The HEI sucx for revving over 4500rpm.
    Aline hone your mains, have the crank properly done (side clearances and notching), a good header setup (no logs), single plane intake w/a 292 cam should put you @ about 500HP with tuning. With iron heads, maybe around 435HP. Also go at least .060 over the stock bore (Olds have a small bore) with a good set of forged slugs. Your stock rods and crank reconditioned, are good to around 500HP I am told. All done right, your new redline should be about 5600rpm safely and most oil issues should be resolved. Even so I still run w/ a puke tank also. I can rev 5400rpm on the lake but would like an "A" impellar to bring my revs down to about 5000-5100. You will also make monster torque down in the low rpm range. Should give you about 550lb-ft @ around 4000rpms. HP should peak around 5300rpms.

psdperformance
    I would follow what hotdawgz said, I built mine for very cheap but i did not put in any of the oil restrictor stuff as i do not rev my motor past 4700 rpm as i had a custom cam ground for all low rpm torque i am done by 4500 and it pulls like a raped ape! I run a edelbrock intake maniflod and i ran the roller rocker setup it is sweet. I caould not afford the new heads or i would have definetly put them on. I also have a 10 qt dooley oil pan very important if you do not run the oil restrictor stuff. Definetly have the motor balanced and the correct marine oil clearances setup run a little on the loose side i think i set mine up at .0022 oil clearance. If you are not going to run big h,p you can get away with cast pistons if not definetly run forged. Good luck.
    Later, Chris

Now, I will be running a 455 with 2.07 Valves, with stock rods (ARP bolts) Nodular crank, forged pistons (Deep dish unfortunately; 8;1 CR?) and balance asssembly planned, 10-11 qrt pan with upper oil restrictors and cap straps.
    You might want to verify exactly what compression ration those pistons are going to give you. 8:1 sounds too low. You will also need to know which heads you are going to use as there are 2 different combustion chamber volumes and that will affect compression ratio. You really want to get into the 9.5 or 10:1 range if you are going to do this. Less than that is little more than a stock rebuild.
    BTW, even the 10:1 pistons have a dished top.
    Most stock Olds powered jets came with an "A" impeller. Ran mine like that for almost 20 years.

malcolm
    I think the deep dish pistons were around 8.5 if I remember right. Not enough to run a big hungry cam, but a larger rv grind could work well and still burn the cheap (did I just say that?) gas.

SmokinLowriderSS
    Where's the cheap gas???? Where?!?!?!!?!? My 454 still thinks the stuff is .12/gal. It just doesn't listen when I tell her the stuff is $2.30 and to SIP!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast