Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Speaker Wire

BADASS38CHEVY
    Im getting the boat all wired for the stereo system. For the jl 1000/1 I was going with the zero gauges wire and for the 300/4 I was going with 4 gauge.I was thinking about using the Rockford Fosgate 15 gauge Type RF CPRG15-30 for the mids and tweeters. does any one know where to buy 300 to 400 feet of this wire.Is this pretty good wire to run or is there something better.

1stepcloser
    For the jl 1000/1 I was going with the zero gauges wire and for the 300/4 I was going with 4 gauge.

IMO, 10 gauge would be fine on the 1K and 14 or 16 gauge would work for the 300.
    For the hardcore in you, you can step up to 8 on the 1K and 12 for the 300, but I really believe thats overkill.
    I used speaker wire from my local Dow/Marvac electronics supply. (10 and 14 gauge respectively)
    If you want to blow the coin, I would personally use Monster cable (http://www.monstercable.com/caraudio2/).

Flashover
    Monster Cable makes some good Speaker wire That you can usualy buy on a spool...

BoatFloating
    IMHO
    2g for 1000/1
    4g for 300/4
    1/0 is overkill..... :notam:
    And soche (sp?) or monster both make good speaker wire and pretty color too.... I wouldn't rack my brain trying to figure out what speaker wire is better. In a boat and most cars it doesn't matter :wink:

BADASS38CHEVY
    I talked to jl and they said for power wires and grounds to use zero on the 1000/1 which i already have and 4 gauge on the 300/4 which lavey craft will supply. Im looking for the best speaker wire for the mids and tweeters.I was told that fosgate uses more strands and copper in there high end wire.I dont mind spending a little more for good wire. I dont like blowing speakers, and I should get a better sound.Running long wire will cause resistance correct?So bigger wire and more copper is better? http://sm.crutchfield.com/S-eR0XtpAR...22&I=575CPRG15

ROZ
    I talked to jl and they said for power wires and grounds to use zero on the 1000/1
    That's because this amp can be voltage sensitive as it gets to it's low voltage minimum...

ROZ
    Hopefully I'm not becomming an internet wire jocky for saying this :notam: , but I think the dielectric works better on the inside of the positive cable's strands... The magnetic field is strongest at the center of the cable itself, so it makes more sense....Breaking the mag field up helps in the "time correction"... I could be wrong though
    Carbon Marine or H20ski may have better info on this...

Norseman
    Pay no attention to the man standing behind the curtain!!!!!! :220v:
    Wire Info (http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm)

rivercrazy
    Copper is copper. As long as the wire gauge is sufficient for the use, there will be no sound difference. The only advantage of higher stand copper wire is its more flexible and looks a little nicer.
    Almost all the various brands source their wiring from a suppliers in Asia. The only difference is the packaging and what name is on the wire.
    Cracks me up how wire marketing empties wallets!

BoatFloating
    That's because this amp can be voltage sensitive as it gets to it's low voltage minimum...
    I've had no issues.... Well until about a year after I got it but that wasn't a wire issue

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast