Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: propane anyone??

jshirley78
    Has anyone ever tried running propane??, I 4 wheeled with a guy running a 454 with propane in place of his gas tank, he said it only cost him about $100 more to build than gas and with current gas prices its costing him about the same to run his BB as it is for me to run my v-6 (in my truck not my boat). So whats the opinions????

JayBee
    If I remember right propane has a much lower energy density than gasoline. Therefore, the volume of the fuel component of the charge going into to the engine is going to be larger; this means the fresh air (oxygen) component of the charge will be smaller at the same flow rate. Another way to look at it is this: to make the same amount of horsepower you will have to increase the induction flow rate.

jshirley78
    you are most certainly correct, it requires a special carb to burn the propane and a converter to change it from liquid to gas.

SK48
    In the late 70's or early 80's there was a guy running blown gas or fuel
    jet with a twin turbo propane Southwind tunnell that hauled a**.

Rampager
    Be an awesome fuel to run in a boat buuuut.....not so sure about storing tanks in a boat with the heat/sun etc. Propane injection would also be worth looking into.
    It has a much better octane rating than gas if Im not mistaken
    Cheers

SmokinLowriderSS
    The "octane" (if you can dare to call it that) is about 104. The BTU capability of propane is only about 15% or so lower than Gaasoline (I do not have the figures in front of me but it is nowhere as low as alch). The power difference would easily be made up in higher compression ratios and ignition timing capability so even mileage is similar. Mixture distribution problems would be almost nonexistent as would troubles of fuel puddling in intakes (inhaling a gas in stead of a liquid). Would be a very smooth running engine, even cold. Oil dilution problems dissapear as well. I have heard oils actually tend to thicken as they age in a propane breathing engine. Don't know if propane "carb" would be available to feed a high-spinning big block but they might be out there somewhere.
    Cool idea though for a mental exercise.

aslack99
    Yah the carbs are out there (IMPCO 425's ),propane works great as an alternate for cars and trucks,but with limited space on a boat it would be tough.BTW I do this stuff for a living.

berk
    in my opinion propane has no place on any boat. just too dangerous.

Kindsvater Flat
    A buddy of mine that owns a propane business and pretty much everything he owns on propane. Here is his beater sanger v-drive that runs high 80's with a small block.
    http://www.schoutenranch.com/gallery...al_propane.jpg
    http://www.schoutenranch.com/gallery...l_propane2.jpg

Jeanyus
    You can make a nice bomb out of propane tanks. I think I'll stick with gasoline.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast