Thread: Abandoned Boat

Old Guy
    About 12 years ago a guy parked a boat on a friends property and left. It had no cover, so the gel is real bad. It has no engine or interior.
    My friend has no idea where the owner is or how to contact him.
    Does anyone know if there is a way, in Michigan, to get a title for an abandoned boat?
    Thanks,
    old

jshirley78
    contact the police dept, they will send a letter to the owner, they then have a time frame to claim it (usually 2 weeks) then they will send you a certificate that entitles you to claim the item. At least in Il this is what you can do. otherwise there is a place in Alabama that will issue you an alabama record of sale for it...check on here for the web address I know I saw it a few weeks ago.

WUTWZAT
    Same goes here in California, if you find an abandoned vessel, it doesn't have to even be on your property they state will help you claim it and title it. Goes through the DMV and they contact the last registered owner and give them a certain period to go claim the boat and secure it or to release it with a clean title to the new would be owner. Its all about collecting those fees.
    Jason

sidewound
    What are you lookin at now? :rollside:
    Peace Man!
    CESAR

1978 Rogers
    contact the police dept, they will send a letter to the owner, they then have a time frame to claim it (usually 2 weeks) then they will send you a certificate that entitles you to claim the item. At least in Il this is what you can do. otherwise there is a place in Alabama that will issue you an alabama record of sale for it...check on here for the web address I know I saw it a few weeks ago.
    Washington State is similar. You contact the Sherif's officeand fill out a form. They come out and run the numbers to make sure it isn't stolen. It it clears out you can go get a title.
    Good Luck.

SmokinLowriderSS
    Should be similar in most states. First stop (or call) is to the county courthouse with your question, whatever office you have your boat registered in, possibly county clerk's office.

Old Guy
    Thanks guys, I'll call the Sheriff's Dept tomorrow. I already called the Secretary of State's office (that's where you go to register a boat, car, truck, etc.) and was told that he has to go to court (she wasn't sure which one) and petition the court for a new title. The court would check if it was stolen and if all went well, the court would issue some kind of certificate. If no one shows up to claim the boat in three years, He can ask the court for a new title.
    All the time she's talkin to me like I'm trying to steal somebody's boat. It was real hard to not hang up while she was running her mouth.
    Maybe the Sheriff will be better. It sure can't be any worse.