Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hypereutectic pistons

Snowboat
    I am having trouble finding some forged pistons for a 427 that I will rebuild this winter. The only ones I can find are very high compression or as low as a little over 8. If I use a Keith Black Hypereutectic piston I can get 9.8 with a 108 closed chamber head. Any horror stories about not using forged pistons?

MikeF
    Try looking in this link.
    www.jepistons.com
    Click on the sportsman link and look around.
    You'll probably find what you're looking for (and the price is reasonable too).

flat broke
    I'm with Mike on this one, order up the JEs and know you're running some of the best slugs out there. Plus they can make you pretty much anything you want/need on a custom basis. The other option would be to check with your machine shop about buying the higher compression pistons and fly cutting em down a tad to lower compression.
    As far as forged or not, it's not that much more to go forged, and you'd make up more than the difference in gaskets, bearings, rings, and time, if something were to go wrong and cause you to open her up.
    Good luck,
    Chris

Bahner tunnel
    I have not heard any good news from people using "Hyper-they-crack-tech" pistons in demanding applications. They are very brittle , nitrous will destroy quickly in any large amount. Look into getting some from JE, Ross, Arais. Good luck with your project.
    [ October 14, 2002, 11:39 AM: Message edited by: Bahner tunnel ]

69 Elim
    from what limited knowledge I have, I hear Hypereautic pistons are fine for naturally aspriated mild motors. pump gas & no nitrous. They are brittle and nitrous will be the end of them. This is from a couple of books I have read. I would use them in a mild naturally aspriated motor. treat them as you would with cast pistons.
    edit: get some quality forged and spend the extra $ so your bottom end bullet proff cause sooner or latter you'll want more HP.
    [ October 14, 2002, 12:51 PM: Message edited by: 69 Elim ]

Jordy
    Having just played the piston shopping game, I ended up with a set of SRP pistons. Sister company to JE, they are a high quality forged piston and I would use them again and again. They will manufacture to your specs if they don't already make them, which would be surprising. I have yet to hear anything good about the hyperutectic pistons.
    Jordy

Snowboat
    That's what I thought. I'll go with forged and quit looking for a cheap lunch.

77charger
    might as well run cast instead of hyperwhatever.I have heard they are sensitive to nitrous.for me its either cast or forged.
    IMO hypertectic or whatever is just a fancy name for cast pistons.and for the increaded price i'd go forged
    I am in the same boat with a bbf 429 you can get 8.5 to 1 cast or 11.25-1 forged.

bajaruner
    Dido what the other guys said. Go forged or buy a good set of billet paddles.

Rigor Mortis
    Forged pistons and then have them teflon buttoned.
    Another idea

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast