Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NO more loud boats . . . .

LHC Kirby
    what is the definition of Loud? and I guess will all be slowing down to enjoy the view!
    No wake zone on river OK'd
    By DAVID BELL
    Thursday, May 4, 2006 11:00 PM MDT
    Boaters will have to act like angels through the Devil's Elbow, according to new rules established by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.
    A no wake zone has been established on the Colorado River at the Devil's Elbow area of Topock Gorge at the request of the Havasu National Wildlife Refuge.
    John Earle, manager of the refuge, said the area is narrow and features a dangerously sharp turn. “Devil's Elbow has had several serious boating accidents in the past. The no wake zone is intended to slow boaters down so they can navigate the turn safely.”
    In addition to the new rule at Topock Gorge, the backwater area between the south buoy line at the entrance to the river and Castle Rock is now a no wake and No Personal Watercraft (PWC) zone. Buoys will mark both areas.
    Waterskiing is also prohibited along the entire stretch of the Colorado River from the north end of Lake Havasu to the I-40 Bridge. And loud boats are not permitted to operate on any area of the Havasu National Wildlife Refuge.
    “Loud noise is extremely disturbing to most wildlife and reduces the value of the refuge. Excessive noise also affects the quality of the experience for human visitors,” said Earle.
    The Havasu National Wildlife Refuge manages the Arizona portions of Lake Havasu and shoreline from Windsor Beach north to the river entrance near Catfish Bay. From Catfish Bay to the I-40 Bridge both sides of the river are managed by the refuge as is another ten miles north on the Arizona side. Congress has designated about 18,000 acres of refuge lands on both sides of the Colorado River through Topock Gorge as National Wilderness.
    - You may contact the reporter at dbell@havasunews.com

LHC Kirby
    I hope this does not mess up too many people.... loud boats going into the gourge.... who will enforce this? maybe Topack will lose some business...
    PWC will not be going to Disneyland or other areas any more either... who enofrces this?

b's sanger
    Couldn't find noise restrictions listed on the National Wildlife website. Arizona Fish and Game still list a limit of 86 decibals at 50 feet using the A range.

shueman
    ...In addition to the new rule at Topock Gorge, the backwater area between the south buoy line at the entrance to the river and Castle Rock is now a no wake and No Personal Watercraft (PWC) zone. Buoys will mark both areas.
    It's this the area called "speed alley".....?? Where OP6C-9 was IS posted no wake....this will move no wake down to the lake entrance and over to the east shoreline....WOW... :220v:

Big Warlock
    I wish I could find my posts from about a year and a half ago. My predictions are coming true. :cry: Sorry Bob!

dicudmore
    where is this Devil's Elbow they speak of?

havaduner
    where is this Devil's Elbow they speak of?
    About 3-4 miles up from the sandbar. A hard right turn(as you are going upriver) the gorge walls are straight up on both sides for about 3/8s of a mile followed by a left.
    It does get rough in there, I have seen a lot of boats slowing down in that area when it gets rough, and it makes it tough to navigate at times.
    Guess I'll have to leave a couple minutes earlier for my Topock breakfast on Sundays...

THOR
    About 3-4 miles up from the sandbar. A hard right turn(as you are going upriver) the gorge walls are straight up on both sides for about 3/8s of a mile followed by a left.
    It does get rough in there, I have seen a lot of boats slowing down in that area when it gets rough, and it makes it tough to navigate at times.
    Guess I'll have to leave a couple minutes earlier for my Topock breakfast on Sundays...
    That is the roughest part of the stretch. It gets like a bath tub in there sometimes.

dicudmore
    Would that be where it always seems to swirl a few different directions and remind you of the Bermuda triangle?? There's a couple spots up that way I always back way off for

KLEPTOW
    This will be great for Boats with a low free board..........They are truely going to turn that area into the Devil's Property.
    I'll bet 5+ boats go down in there the first Holiday weekend.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast