Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intercooler water system

T-Bag
    If any body is running a chiller what kind of water pump and how do you have it plumbed????

SteveDavid
    Yes, I'm running Whipples with their innercooler. We've kept the stock raw water pump from Merc (these were 500 efi's), eliminated the circ pump and went to a cross over. The discharge out of the raw water pump tees off to the chiller. There is still plenty to cool the engine, and maintain about 18 lbs. of water pressure from 2800 RPM and up.
    My water temp never goes above 120 and stays at 100 unless we're running 4000 RPM or higher for an extended time (which is about where boost kicks in) in which it goes to 120.
    I'm runnin Bravo XR drives 1.36 ratio, with low water pickups. Dustin has recommended separate pickups for the chiller and engine where you don't have enough water pressure, but that hasn't been a problem.
    This is a triple engine installation in a 43' Black Thunder, app. 13,000 pounds.
    Hope that helps you,
    Steve

Craig
    I'm running a Super Chiller. I have a seperate pickup in the bottom of the boat which feeds to a sea strainer then to the chiller.

T-Bag
    Craig:
    I'm running a Super Chiller. I have a seperate pickup in the bottom of the boat which feeds to a sea strainer then to the chiller. Do you force feed the water or do you run a electric remote pump and what size hoses in and out of the chiller??

Infomaniac
    We are running forced water through the intercooler then through the oil cooler and out the transom. #10 hose everywhere.
    Forced water will not be cooling the intake or oil during idle. Helps fuel puddling and cooling cold oil otherwise.

T-Bag
    Infomaniac:
    We are running forced water through the intercooler then through the oil cooler and out the transom. #10 hose everywhere.
    Forced water will not be cooling the intake or oil during idle. Helps fuel puddling and cooling cold oil otherwise. What size blower and what percent of overdrive are you running?????

Craig
    T-Bag:
    Do you force feed the water or do you run a electric remote pump and what size hoses in and out of the chiller?? [/QB]I force feed it in through the bottom of the boat. I use a -12 braided hose in and a -10 braided hose out, per PFM

Infomaniac
    T-Bag:
    Infomaniac:
    Forced water will not be cooling the intake or oil during idle. Helps fuel puddling and cooling cold oil otherwise. What size blower and what percent of overdrive are you running????? Quad rotor whipple 10 lbs sometimes 14 lbs.

Unchained
    Ron,
    Explain to me about feeding the intercooler and oil cooler through a hole in the bottom of the boat. How much pressure/flow will that get and at what speed?
    I need to address the same plumbing soon. I was going to feed it from the jet pump but I don't want too much pressure either.
    When you pickup water from the bottom of the boat do you need a diagonal cut on the pickup tube facing forward or is just flush with the bottom OK ?

T-Bag
    Unchained:
    Ron,
    Explain to me about feeding the intercooler and oil cooler through a hole in the bottom of the boat. How much pressure/flow will that get and at what speed?
    I need to address the same plumbing soon. I was going to feed it from the jet pump but I don't want too much pressure either.
    When you pickup water from the bottom of the boat do you need a diagonal cut on the pickup tube facing forward or is just flush with the bottom OK ? If you run out of the jet pump use a valve to adjust the water pressure and in one of the ports of the chiller screw in a pres gauge to see, I was told 20 -30 psi.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast