Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CraneHI-6 or MSD 6AL???

HammerDown
    Thinking about one or the other...Summit now offers the Digital fully potted Crane HI-6 Box with free LX92 Coil for $200.00 vs MSD Analog/6AL for $195.00. Even though I all ready have a MSD Blaster Coil...I'm kinda leaning towards the Crane Box...unless theres a good reason not to.

Blown 472
    No rev limiter chips, my buddy has one in his dart and loves it.

Hotcrusader76
    HammerDown:
    Thinking about one or the other...Summit now offers the Digital fully potted Crane HI-6 Box with free LX92 Coil for $200.00 vs MSD Analog/6AL for $195.00. Even though I all ready have a MSD Blaster Coil...I'm kinda leaning towards the Crane Box...unless theres a good reason not to. Don't forget that MSDs customer service is with keeping in the highest of standards for customer relations. Sometimes that's the key to your success in choosing between the two. Granted I haven't had any problems with either system, the MSD system would be my first choice.
    I just sent out my Mallory system to be refurbished, but in order for me to even have the oppurtunity to speak with someone took forever. Mallory (Mr.Gasket) is crap for service response. But none the less they rogered up to update my electronics so I can budget my build in other more important areas.
    Just my 0.02

Blown 472
    One more thing I just read, the msd is rebuidable, the crane is not.

HammerDown
    Thanks for the feedback...

gotriver
    There is a lot to be said about customer service. I just sent my two year old MSD 6M2 ignition and Blaster coil to MSD. The ignition quit working and burned out the coil. I expected to pay for the repair as it was out of warranty. They were replaced at no charge.

flat broke
    Hammer,
    Hack Job tried running the Crane on his old turbo motor because the system allowed for expandability like boost retard etc. The unit had an issue with the rev limiter cutting even when it was disabled. He pulled the crane, ran just a pertronix and coil as a interim solution and picked up something like 200-400 RPM. Obviously there was an "issue" with the Crane unit.
    MSD on the other hand... I have had the same ol 6a in my boat and it has never given me a single problem. I still remember how much crisper the starting and idle was after I added it. I'm not bagging on the Crane, just sharing an exerience. If I was in your shoes today, I would buy the MSD based off of my experiences with their tech support staff and customer service.
    One last thought, MSD has been setting up contingency programs with some of the drag boat sanctioning bodies wink
    Chris

HammerDown
    Thanks again...Even though I've had Crane stand behind some of there other products,>(there 1'st generation Harley H-I4Ign.) it looks like the MSD-6AL should be the choice.

Fired Up
    I also had the same decision to make with my set-up. I ultimately went with the Crane. Its digital where the MSD is an analog system. I have not had any problems with it and was relatively easy to install once you read through the instruction book and decide which worked for your installation. I know just about EVERYONE runs an MSD system. So something must be said for that....But I've never seen a used Crane for sale. The price was a good deal on my Crane as well. Just my .01......

HammerDown
    I'm thinking there could be a pro/con to having the Box potted...unlike the MSD6-AL the Crane could be mounted where it could get a splash of water and keep going...however the potting would stop it from getting repaird if needed. I'm thinking Crane would just replace the unit anyhow. I think I'm over thinking this...see my Signature

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast