Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hey ya'll, What motor temperature do you run?

daddy b
    I had to replace a ball valve and I finally figured out that I could cut back the water to the block at the pump and run warmer than the 120 It's at, (sorry I'm a little slow sometimes)went with a hotter plug too. Yesterday I had it up to @170 and it did seem to run better. What have you guys found?
    Thanks daddy b :idea:

Condor
    Always run as cold a plug as you can that will keep it's nose clean ( won't foul ).
    I try to run mine at 140/160, but restrict it going out of the Block. Afraid of hot spots, I guess.
    Seems most do it your way.

RCB19
    In order to keep my motor happy I run mine at 120* & never above 125* at the guage. Helps controll detonation. The temp that your guage is showing is not necessarily the true temp of the engine. What the guage shows is how much engine temp the water has absorbed before it is dumped overboard since jet boats use an open cooling system. The true temp of your motor is usually higher than what the guage shows.

In order to keep my motor happy I run mine at 120* & never above 125* at the guage. Helps controll detonation. The temp that your guage is showing is not necessarily the true temp of the engine. What the guage shows is how much engine temp the water has absorbed before it is dumped overboard since jet boats use an open cooling system. The true temp of your motor is usually higher than what the guage shows.
    Yup!

HBjet
    120 for me...

83Dana454
    Running at about 150 idle and 120-130 at cruise. Restriciting the water flow with a ball valve between the pump and engine. No restriction on the water discharge from the engine.

SmokinLowriderSS
    I'm running normally about 170 idle, 135 to 140 on plane. right now running about 160 / 125 because the gate valve I use is curently wide open.
    Controlling it at the outlet condor is a tried and true way to risk blowing seals in the engine. I have never had any trouble with hot spots or blown head or intake gaskets by restricting the intake. Mine outlets through the rear of my Thru-Trans exhauset, unrestricted.

CVX20Dustin
    I just put a oil temp gauge in and I think its a good add on for watching motor temp. Running hard water temp 130 to 140. Oil temp 220 to 240. What do you guys thing a good oil temp is.

Sleek-Jet
    Ideling around the water temp get's up to about 180*, running it's around 140*. That's with logs.
    You want your oil temp to get hot enough to boil the condensation out of it, especially important in a boat. 220 - 240 is right where you want it to be.

Condor
    Smokin,
    Thanks for the information, you are correct about the pressure problem ! I guess that's why I run a pressure regulator just after the water comes thur the Transit. Water pressure never goes over 20 lbs and the oil runs at 220 degrees.Runs the same on my Blown Gas Picklefork as it does on my SBC boat.Most of the Jets in my Area run the regulators and the Valve out of the Motor. There are about 30 or so.............
    Ball Valves are for regulating flow and Gate Valves are to be used as Stop Valves only.
    Gate Valves have a tapered seat, wedge shaped, that the gate goes up and down in. When it's partially open it's unsuported and will chatter on the stem and will eventially break the stem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast