Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 460 Ford

NeoBurn
    Alright if all the Chevy guys can keep their comments to themselves please.
    Step 1: 460 Identification, How do I tell and what are the different generations? And how do I identify my particular block? 1979 guessing.
    Step 2: Stock HP 380. What order of modifications should I start with? IE ehaust, Intake, Heads? My Ultimate goal is 500 HP sturdy and reliable. I have had the stock engine into the 5600 RPM range but that was on a loose jet.
    [ April 28, 2003, 05:13 PM: Message edited by: NeoBurn ]

LakesOnly
    NeoBurn:
    Step 1: 460 Identification, How do I tell and what are the different generations? And how do I identify my particular block? 1979 guessing.
    Step 2: Stock HP 380. What order of modifications should I start with? IE ehaust, Intake, Heads? My Ultimate goal is 500 HP sturdy and reliable. I have had the stock engine into the 5600 RPM range but that was on a loose jet. In order for anybody to answer both questions, you need to find out what the casting numbers are on your block and heads.
    The cylinder head casting number is located just outside of the valve cover rail, right above the spark plugs and exhaust ports. Probably reads D3VE-***.
    The block casting number is on the side of the block and also starts with a D....
    LO

NeoBurn
    Block
    D1VE-6015-A28B
    Heads
    No Casting Number Can be found.

Here's pics.

Blown 472
    The number is just below the valve cover rail in the center of the head right above the exhaust port. They look like d3ve's from the pic.

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
    I think they look like d3ve also due to the torque down rocker arms. First thing get some better heads. dove-c or d0oe-r cobra jet heads depending on what your wallet says and what pistons you have. Your heads now are open chamber late model heads. Not bad heads just not high performance heads. If you want most bang for buck my opinion is go with the dove-c and grind the hump out of the exhaust port. Dove-c heads have fully adjustable rocker arms like a BBC. Not that you are trying to mimic a BBC in any way. Those heads and a decent cam with good carberation and a unilite distributor should put you somewhere close to 450-500hp. And you could do it relatively inexpensively. If you're gonna go radical though you're gonna need headers. I have logs on my boat now and they really hinder the performance of free flowing heads. I may get slammed for this advice but I know it will work. You could probably make about 400hp with those heads now. What kind of ignition and intake/carb are you running. Also does the cam have a relatively smooth idle and if so run a compression check and give us the numbers on that. Are you looking to rebuild or just get some more performance?

NeoBurn
    Ignition MSD 6ML-2, Pro-Billet Distributor, Soft Touch Rev Limiter, High Vibration Blaster Coil.
    Intake Edlebrock Torker II (single Plane), + Carb Spacer.
    Single 750 Double Pumper with anular boosters ask TPC racing hehe he's does the carb magic.
    Looking to match HP from engine to the max HP of the Panther Jet 500hp. Not radical just max out without losing reliability. Stock pistons I believe I don't want to take off the heads I might be tempted to use them as anchors.
    Thanks for the info so far, still can't find the heads identification number though.

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
    I'll be real honest with you. I think you would have a real hard time getting those hp numbers with the heads you have. I mean honest hp. there is always nitrous though........Take your time with it. You could buy some Dove-c heads of ebay for probably 200 or less sit on them a while and have them rebuilt when money is right then weekend swap and I promise you will notice a difference. Just remember to grind out the humps in the exhaust ports. Very important. You could do it yourself with a die grinder though. perfection takes time.......oh yeah and money!!!

LakesOnly
    Yo Neo,
    The heads you have are not an open chamber design, nor are they junk. The combustion chamber shape is identical to that of the D0VE heads (quench pad and all) but is simply .100" deeper recessed into the head. As a result, they have less compression.
    It is true that a D0VE head offers better flow charateristics--specifically on the exhaust port side. For this reason, it is possible to generate greater horsepower with the D0VE head overall.
    I am running D3VE heads also. They were ported on a flowbench and, according to the flow numbers on my heads and actual dyno results of a motor with identical portwork, my heads can support 670 HP.
    Getting 500 ponies with your heads is no problem whatsoever, but achieving it without head porting or flat top pistons is not likely. Never-the-less, you can make plenty of power with what you have.
    If you must have 500 HP, but insist in keeping your stock dish-top pistons, improving compression and flow characteristics might best be done with D0VE heads and a cam.
    By the way, depending on what you want to run for compression, you may be limited in high compression piston choices with the D3's, but there are plenty of choices for either cylinder head.
    It really boils down to where you want to spend your money. If you really think you will want more than 500 HP, then you may want to spring for the D0VE heads. Keep in mind that you will also need to start beefing up your lower end at that point also.
    LO
    p.s. Stay away from the D2VE heads! (Open chamber design.)
    [ April 29, 2003, 09:17 PM: Message edited by: LakesOnly ]

NeoBurn
    Lakes so the heads I have are not junk. Thats the best news I had all day. I got a speeding ticket crossing Coronado Bridge today doing 21 over. Not a happy camper.
    Anyways,
    Without knowing what kind of pistons assuming they are stock. Would I also get the piston chambers bored out and go with flat top pistons? And if so what is the norm bore on a rebuild and will this effect the heads? Sorry for the Q's I'm learning still.
    If I take the current heads off and get them ported should I switch rockers from the stock plates?
    One more and I'm done hehe,. Should I buy a cam to match the intake? or is refurbing the stock if it can be better? or leave it alone?
    Thanks for all your help guys!

NeoBurn
    Oops one more thing 500 hp is the ultimate goal not a penny more my new rebult panther jet isn't rated for any higher. Nor does the folks at panther recommend going over 500 hp on the motor.
    Something about the boat will take off into the sky combined with an ear shreeking roar of a very large cat.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast