Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trailer Brakes

CARRERA
    Anyone ever come down the Grapevine (5 Fwy) and have the brakes on the trailer over heat? That happen to me this weekend, the brakes on the trailer over heated and me not knowing the situation (brakes overheated), I just happen to be in need of gasoline, so I pulled off into the first gas station to gas up and realize one of my tires was going flat due to a leaking valve stem and also the bearing grease was leaking out of the four wheels (six wheel trailer) which have the breaks.

termiteguy
    that does not sound to good it has never happend to me thank god.

CARRERA
    Bump

Nubbs
    Is it possible that your cylinders are sticking with the brakes on? I had that with my trailer brakes. I pulled the drums off and found I had two rusted cylinders. I discovered the problem because the wheels were extra hot from the brakes sticking. Do you have disk brakes? Disk brakes typically activate a lot easier than drums. It could just be that the brakes were on due to the decline in the road. My buddy had that happen to his coming down the mountain from Big Bear. I would jack the wheels of the ground and try to spin them.

BoatFloating
    On my 238 Carrera a few years ago that happened to me. It was a defective master cylinder that didn't have a return hole (bad cast) so when you hit the brakes it would fill with fkuid but never release. This was on a competive traiker but the brake system was Bearing Buddy....

CARRERA
    Is it possible that your cylinders are sticking with the brakes on? I had that with my trailer brakes. I pulled the drums off and found I had two rusted cylinders. I discovered the problem because the wheels were extra hot from the brakes sticking. Do you have disk brakes? Disk brakes typically activate a lot easier than drums. It could just be that the brakes were on due to the decline in the road. My buddy had that happen to his coming down the mountain from Big Bear. I would jack the wheels of the ground and try to spin them.
    I have the disk brakes and that is what I think happen. The breaks were on due to the decline on the road, and yes they did get hot and the bearing grease was running out.

Havasu Hangin'
    On a downhill, don't use short, frequent braking, as the surge mechanism will have a tough time disengaging.
    If you use a good Moly (no-melt grease)...it should help keep most of the grease in when it gets hot. Most trailer manufacturers use that cheap, blue "marine" grease, which melts pretty quickly.

Brakes fail on the Grapevine? Yep, only difference was I had 48,000lbs of wine helping me get down the hill. Pretty scary and thank God the traffic was light [3:30 AM] When I got to the bottom of the hill all the brakes were gone and the engine was spinning 2700 rpm [governed at 2150 rpms]

CARRERA
    Brakes fail on the Grapevine? Yep, only difference was I had 48,000lbs of wine helping me get down the hill. Pretty scary and thank God the traffic was light [3:30 AM] When I got to the bottom of the hill all the brakes were gone and the engine was spinning 2700 rpm [governed at 2150 rpms]
    So what was it that cause your brakes to fail?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast