Thread: is in intake grate necessary?

kielbasa
    Hi guys, took out my brothers Chrysler jet boat the other day, it is terrible trying to get two tubers out of the water!! seems like the boat can't get out of it's own way...anyways later in the day the rope got sucked in the impeller (fortunately it was idling and we were able to take the grate off and pull it out by hand), anyways we were wondering if keeping the grate off will noticeably help in performance (why is it there, to keep the fish out?)....we can hardly believe a 340 mopar can't pull tubes out of the water, so what's the deal?? are jet's just that pathetic out of the hole??? I keep reading about how much snap these things are supposed to have out of the hole, well not this thing....we were also experimenting with different techniques trying to get out of the hole better, seems if you just keep it floored the revs just start to scream with no forward motion (like cavitation), what are some things we could do to this thing to make it perform better? Thanks!

sidewound
    Sounds like you need a diverter

sleekvino
    sounds like you need a pump rebuild. my boat comes out of the hole very hard with a stock pump and a 454 chevy.it can pull 3 tubes no problem.

ANY&ALL
    first of all did you say 340 mopar what type of horsepower and where is the power at, if its set up at 5000-6000 grand you will never see it.Two the grate is a rock grate to keep out debre.Thrid do you have a way to adjust the jet like to throw a rooster tail wich is called a placediverter or jetovator.this will help you alot out of the hole especialy when towing.Fourth you decribed the keeping the motor rev up like spinning or cavitating, what type of pump is it and is just off idle or when your driving can you punch it and does it just spin for a minute then take off

kielbasa
    340 mopar, all stock, low end engine (good power from 1200~4200 rpm)...we assumed the grate is for rocks and such, but we assume if we're carefull it will never suck in a rock, if there is NO noticeable compromise we would put the grate back in...no adjustment for trim, it's a stock Chrysler jet, can a diverter or whatever be retrofitted to this thing? What does that do?
    It only cavitates when flooring it trying to pull a tuber out of the water at low speed (5~10 mph), we always backed off on the throttle when that would happen as it would just rev to 5000+, otherwise it acts fine...we're newbies to jets, but just seems odd that my parents 16 foot aluminum Starcraft with 70 horse Evinrude pulls tubers better than this thing.
    Boat is 18.5 feet long, weighs around 2000 pounds, the 340 is approx 250 horsepower, maybe that's all we should be expecting out of this combo??

Ken F
    Go out and try it without the rockgrate. It probably won't run quite as fast, but may come out of the hole a little better, however I doubt it. Sounds to me like it's time for a pump rebuild.
    What you are describing is like your tires spinning. Your pump is not hooking up & pumping water. I'd be willing to bet you are looking at pump-rebuild time. it should pull two tubes without any problem.
    Ken F

I agree with Ken. Problem is this is a "Chrysler Jet", not just a "Chrysler powered" jet. Might have a hard time finding parts for one of those......