Thread: Head gasket Blown? Procharger 7.4MPI M-1

baronbob
    M-1 Procharger-5PSI. I don't think I have blown the pistons. I put a used Procharger on a used 7.4 MPI and I did have had trouble with my intake gasket leaking water into the oil. I replaced the gasket and no oil problems since. The engine has never been completely happy since the install. It does run well @ 4000 RPM. Above 4000RPM the engine varies RPM by +/- 100. The variance was grater however I re-built the ATI fuel regulator and performance got better. I believe the lower end was worn prior to the procharger application. I am seeing oil back up and out the oil dip stick (500 total time prior to the procharger 600hrs now). Compression checks are now in 120#s in the center 4 cylinders (3, 4, 5, 6, 7,) and 150#s in the corners (1, 2, 7, 8,). I have thought that the head gasket might have developed a leak, as the stock gasket is a weak point however various responders to my threads have said I have piston blow-by. My leak-downs were 80#s/50#s in the corners and 80#s/20#s in the center. The guy I bought the Procharger from had no reported trouble. Same engines. His rig was newer however. I plan to run the rest of this season @ reduced power and then totally re build this winter. At that time I will build with forged steel crank, forged rods, and a d forged pistons.

Infomaniac
    You will end up with nothing of the original engine but the block man. Heads are peanut ports as well. I would suggest freshing it up as is, selling it to someone in need of a 7.4 long block and build yourself something else from scratch.

Beer-30
    You will end up with nothing of the original engine but the block man. Heads are peanut ports as well. I would suggest freshing it up as is, selling it to someone in need of a 7.4 long block and build yourself something else from scratch.
    Did I hear someone say the word MERLIN?
    Yay though he would have a nice "seasoned" block, he would probably be equal money by the time splayed caps and extra machining were done.