Thread: 1972 Wriedt Spoiler Project

HoosierDaddy
    Long time reader, first time post!
    My Dad and I just pulled this 1972 Wriedt (pronounced "right") Spoiler out of storage after 10-11 years and in the process of restoring. The boat has been in the family since 1975 and was last ran around 1994. The oil was fresh looking, hooked the hose up to the water line and apparently no leaks in the motor. Looks like it was a racoon hotel at one point, seats where chewed up.
    Engine turns over, however the starter seems a little week to turn it over adequately. We had some trouble with it before going into storage. Little fiberglass damage by the driver and the floor needs replaced. But hey, it is a project boat! That is a 455 olds 390 HP Hardin Marine engine.Gel and Paint needs some work on the bottom half. In it's day it would run 60+
    Here is the link to my images. (I prefer to create a link rather then fill up the thread with all the pictures)
    1972 Wriedt Project (http://www2.***boat.com/image_center...stype=&ppuser=)
    Looking forward to much needed advice from those of you that have been there, drank a few, and done that!

maxwedge
    Looks kinda like a Sidewinder splash. Also looks like a lot of work, but you should have fun with it.

AZKC
    Gota love the pimp 70's metal flake gell coat. Good luck.

HoosierDaddy
    Gota love the pimp 70's metal flake gell coat. Good luck.
    That's one of the decisions... keep the 70's look or repaint. It does look sharp when polished out. If we find that we will put more in it then it is worth, then we will do the neccesary to get it in the water (safely), have some fun and look for a more solid project boat.
    From what I have been told, to duplicate this paint job it would cost $6,000 - $7,000. Not sure if this is the boat to put that much into.