Thread: Opinions needed

stoker
    I keep my boat at a full service storage facility. During the Christmas parade the guys that work there launched my boat for me (I wasn't there). While the guy was backing the boat up he hit the dock and damaged my swimstep to the tune of $2900.00. They said that they are not liable because the engine stalled while he was backing up. I asked them why he didn't stop the boat with the other engine. The guy I was talking to paused for a moment and then said the other engine stalled also.
    They offered me one months storage for compensation which is only about $550.00. I figured before I filed suit I would get the opinions of all you experianced boaters first.

LAFD
    ide tell them to take there month free and shoved it up there :220v: .. they need to fix what they broke and than they should give you the month for putting you threw the hassle of getting it fixed.

pixilatedpussy
    I keep my boat at a full service storage facility. During the Christmas parade the guys that work there launched my boat for me (I wasn't there). While the guy was backing the boat up he hit the dock and damaged my swimstep to the tune of $2900.00. They said that they are not liable because the engine stalled while he was backing up. I asked them why he didn't stop the boat with the other engine. The guy I was talking to paused for a moment and then said the other engine stalled also.
    They offered me one months storage for compensation which is only about $550.00. I figured before I filed suit I would get the opinions of all you experianced boaters first.
    Tell them you will see them in court! :yuk:

hoolign
    I imagine you have taken this up with the owners already! There would be no question that i would have a lawyer review the contract you signed when you first rented,and see if you have grounds to sue. then let em have it! That's BS! and it sounds like they are trying to cover up their mistakes!

redneckcharlie
    does part of your agreement with the storage facility include them loading and unloading your boat? did they charge for that service? if they charged you, then you probably have recourse, if they didn't, you may not. just curious, did they tear the swimpstep off? what is the replacement cost of the step? good luck.

stoker
    does part of your agreement with the storage facility include them loading and unloading your boat? did they charge for that service? if they charged you, then you probably have recourse, if they didn't, you may not. just curious, did they tear the swimpstep off? what is the replacement cost of the step? good luck.
    Launching is part of the service. The contract says they are only responsable for damage if it was due to neglegence on their part.

chub
    More lawyer issue's! :argue:

stoker
    More lawyer issue's! :argue:
    I have more lawyers than friends :cry:

JetBoatRich
    Sucks that they will not step up and take care of the damge THEY did
    court maybe needed

Old Texan
    Launching is part of the service. The contract says they are only responsable for damage if it was due to neglegence on their part.
    There is the key statement in your defense.
    Any smart businessman would turn the 2,900 over to insurance or pay from his pocket to keep the claim off his insurance. In either instance you should get a min. 1 month free for your troulbes.
    You go to court for cost and actual, he'll lose the case and will pay double the $2900.
    Plus fire the dumbass that has no business running a boat.