Thread: johnson 235

Tresguey
    my buddy has a charger 21 foot mini daycruiser and has a mid 80's 235 johnson that he is thinking of clamping on it. the boat is right now a jet. the real question is how fast can he go and how hard will it be to rig. :idea:

Tresguey
    any takes on this?

Tom Brown
    I'll throw out a wild guess.
    First of all, I'd guess that hull to weigh about 1400 lbs or more. Is it a small 21' cuddy? If my weight guess is anywhere close, that would put you in about the 60 mph range, best case. I would think definitely over 50, though.

Tresguey
    im guessing the weight would be between 1400 and 1800. 60 sounds good but what about the conversion?how hard will it be? i know about the hole on the bottom and back of the boat we have to fill but what does he need to do to build up the transom? it is a heavy motor!

Tom Brown
    If the transom is 2 layers of 3/4 inch plywood (or 1"), it can be repaired fairly easily. Lake Trash put together an excellent post on the subject on Barney's old board but unfortunately that message base has been lost.
    The way he described his repair, he cut the transom hole square and beveled the edges so the outside plywood beveled out at 45 degrees and the inside plywood beveled in at 45 degrees. Then he cut pieces with beveled edges to plug the hole from the inside and outside. The cut pieces should nest into place but not be able to go through the transom. They should fit flush if they are cut accurately.
    He used heavy matt as an interface to glass the plugs into the hole and between the two pieces of plywood. The two pieces of plywood can be screwed to each other to clamp them good and tight while the glass cures.
    The beveled plywood will interlock with itself making the repair mechanically sound.
    He removed two Arneson drives and turbine engines from a 40' Warlock. The massive turbine exhaust and drive holes were repaired and two Merc 300X outboards were mounted in the repaired areas. He said there were no cracks or flaws after two years.
    Lake Trash knows what he's talking about. I think I've done an accurate job of describing his repair. Unfortunately, I'm a third person and it's always better to hear it first hand. You might be able to get him to post some pictures or describe the process more in depth or more accurately if you go over to www.byuboyz.com and ask.
    I've used that method on a couple of repairs and found that it is an outstanding technique. I've never hung a heavy outboard on a repaired area, however, so you might want to ask LT.

Tresguey
    thanks, that doesnt sound hard at all.