Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sound checks at Lake Mead

laveydayz
    Lake Mead is now cracking down on mufflers. They had sound checks last weekend at the Marina and wrote a few DUI's along with the muffler tickets. Be carefull!!!!

All IN
    If you drink and drive a boat I hope you get a DUI.

Creator
    we got busted for sound at the lavey regatta 2 years ago.

laveydayz
    If you drink and drive a boat I hope you get a DUI.Well if your "drunk" then yes you deserve it, but people can get one after 3 beers...lets face it 90% of the boats on the lake have drivers who have had a few beers. Its the people who drink all day and dont know when to say enough, that are the dangerous ones. It would really suck to get stopped for noise and get a DUI for only having a couple of beers. Just my opinion.

ratso
    Where is RD???

2Driver
    How do find out the noise level:
    1. Max Allowed
    2. of your boat
    Should I assume a 21 xtc Lavey with a 454 mag and lighting headers will not make the cut there?

Creator
    Depends on the guy running the test, The major problem with the sound test is there is no standard testing routine. Ours was tested on the water at 3 yards back running 3k rpm and 3 ft back at idle. We were in the 93-96 range. His meter was all over the place and he just wrote us up for 96db's...BS if you ask me.
    We run a 2750 Lavey with a blown hp500. You know lavey, they put a pretty big echo chamber back there under the swim step.

blown428fe
    Busting ass up here in Connecticut too.

nextel4u
    I got snagged on Saturday at Lake Mead for Sound, the ranger was maybe 2 feet away from my swipstep while he was doing his test. I wathced the meter go up and down from 84db up to 98db. After about 2 minutes of testing he told me my boat was at 93.6db. There were also 5 or 6 other loud boats right next to me during the test. I have no idea how these tests can be accurate! Ending up letting me go with a warning. Just bought the Gibson Mufflers, No more Hassles.

Laser 21
    Depends on the guy running the test, The major problem with the sound test is there is no standard testing routine. Ours was tested on the water at 3 yards back running 3k rpm and 3 ft back at idle. We were in the 93-96 range. His meter was all over the place and he just wrote us up for 96db's...BS if you ask me.
    We run a 2750 Lavey with a blown hp500. You know lavey, they put a pretty big echo chamber back there under the swim step.
    http://www.boatnevada.org/laws/noise.pdf
    SAE J34: The most precise measurement available, taken of a boat at a distance of 50 ft. with wide-open throttle (the near maximum noise of the boat). Although great for engineering standards, it is difficult for enforcement purposes in the field. The Coast Guard recommends 86 decibels (dBA), which most states have adopted as law.
    SAE J2005: This measures the engine sound at idle with the microphone 1.5 m away. SAE recommends a limit of 90dbA for this method, which does not account for the speed or power of the boat.
    SAE J1970: In realizing the enforcement difficulties of the previous methods,
    SAE designed this shoreline noise test enabling regulations keeping the boat under 75 dBA at 50 ft. by operation, not mechanics. The operator is responsible for controlling the noise of the boat.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast