Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NOS Anybody considered it?

Hotcrusader76
    Is there anybody out here running a NOS system...reliably?
    In my own mind, I think it's worthless on a Jet for recreational use. What are the pros and cons to useing it when you have a Jetboat doing 75+ already, Hi-rise manifold, Dual carbs, 10+ Compression, etc?
    Is something worth trying? I just wanted to get a discussion or board started on NOS? I think its a great idea for a board post...
    Ty

mister460
    Cheap horsepower and can be very reliable if set up right. Always fun to drive.

Infomaniac
    I have several opinions on this subject. I believe most systems are engineered well enough to not necessairily damage the engine.
    New users are impressed on how much that new button increases the performance. It is just too easy to add more spray to it before the necessary engine component upgrades are made.
    My standard opinion about spray is that you are living on borrowed time when using that stuff. I have always preferred a blower.
    It does come in handy when you run out of beer !!

BlownCole
    I have run NOS on boat but it comes in so hard it is hard on parts mainly outdrives, and keeping those bottles filled is quite a hassle. A friend ran it on a jet boat with a 502 no ill effects, he was a very conservative driver though.

Makin' Do
    I run a 454 (.080 over) in a TX19 with a proshot fogger. We are on about our 6th year on the bottom end and 4th year on the top end (preventative maintenance on roller lifters). I love the nitrous because it doesn’t affect my gas economy just cruising but when it is time to race just open the bottle. It really pisses the blower boats off when the get out run by a dual small Holley tunnel ram. Invest in an extra bottle.
    Matt

stressedout
    I have used nitrous for 15+ years. I have a 700hp. kit on the hydro. 496...Lunati crank,fowler billet alum.rods with stainless dows,ported merlin heads,arp head studs,roller cam, titanium valves,stainless roller rockers with a stud girdle,14-1 custom built arias nitrous pistons,msd 7al2 ignition with a multi step retard,tunnel ram with 2 750's.This engine was built for high hp nitrous.
    We use to run nos solonoids had lots of trouble,we now run compucar with no problems.
    Compucar makes a single stage that makes 1100 hp.There solonoids flow a lot higher rate than any other,they even have ported inlets and outlets for higher flow.
    It is not cheap hp for this application as I can only get 2 1/4 mile passes on a 10 lb bottle at 4.50 a pound.
    The advantage for me is I also use this boat to ride around in,very economical when not on the button.Have beatin boats running 500in.with 871 blowers putting out 18 pounds of boost.
    Disadvantage...Need several nit.bottles,need of 118 gas.

78Eliminator
    Doing NOS this summer. I guess I'll report back when my motor is blown to bits

737jetmech
    I've run nitrous on a drag car for many years and also use it on a 2.5offshore merc o/b.You have to run a system that is not going to exceed your engines Mechanical limits (rpm) & Thermal limits (egt) for the motor to live. Run the system on the rich side or low power jets and make sure your fuel system is going to be able to supply the needed fuel .You will hurt the engine if you can not supply the enrichment fuel to control exhaust gas temperature.Lean mixture will produce higher hp as well as higher temperatures. Just my 2 cents ... Bob

737jetmech
    [ July 22, 2002, 11:58 AM: Message edited by: 737jetmech ]

Hotcrusader76
    Justin,
    Sounds like your dead searious about the "laughin' gas". Let's do it!
    Girlfriend gave me the thumbs up on the NOS also. I want more flow first and I think the extra flow will cook those bassets, so maybe the Jethot coatings is a must?
    I just want a simple fogger system, hidden well!
    Ty

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast