Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fan clutch or flex fan

Cas
    I need to replace the fan clutch on my motorhome but have a flex fan that's been sitting in my garage for awhile. Any opinions on which way to go?
    I'm leaning towards just replacing the clutch but would like to hear the pros and cons.

celeb1
    Flex fans are loud!!! they sound like a blower whine, if you like listening to that on vacation go for it.

Cas
    DB,
    Yea, my concern is the flattening out. On real hot days, I'm not sure the flex would be of much help.
    celeb,
    That's the problem with the clutch now, it's constantly engaged. We sound like a friggin Sopwith Camel driving down the road

Squirtin Thunder
    Cas,
    Get one at AutoZone they are cheep, with lifetime warrantee !!!
    You may save some gas too !!!
    Change the cap and thermostate while your at it !!!
    I would put a 180* in instead of the 195* that is resomended !!!

Beer-30
    Go with OEM. How long did the last one make it? One thing you don't go cheap on is cooling, especially in a motor home. Lifetime warranty is great on parts, but you don't want to be changing it on the side of the 40 between Ludlow and Needles every other trip. Ford, Chevy, or Dodge, get the factory replacement. Trust me, been there-done that.

Squirtin Thunder
    What is cool is that the Fan Clutch that Auto Zone carries is Hayden same as Ford OME and part # is the Same at least for my app.
    Cas are you coming out to see me ???
    I trust mine 100%

Cas
    B 30 & ST
    Yep, I'll be going OEM with it. The prices I get from a Chevy dealer usually beats prices on my commercial account at Kragen.
    ST,
    I already did the thermostat and cap change. Other than the clutch, I just need to reroute the fuel line to the carb. It doesn't make sense why they put a metal line right up against the engine. I've had it vapor lock on me a couple of times....muxt've been one of Ford's better ideas
    Any reason why I should come out to see you? It's not like I'm just "in the area" :rollside:

Squirtin Thunder
    B 30 & ST
    Yep, I'll be going OEM with it. The prices I get from a Chevy dealer usually beats prices on my commercial account at Kragen.
    ST,
    I already did the thermostat and cap change. Other than the clutch, I just need to reroute the fuel line to the carb. It doesn't make sense why they put a metal line right up against the engine. I've had it vapor lock on me a couple of times....muxt've been one of Ford's better ideas
    Any reason why I should come out to see you? It's not like I'm just "in the area" :rollside:
    Is it a Ford or a Chevy ???
    If its a Ford why would you go to Chevy ???
    Hell I heard I-40 !!!
    Thought you desided to skipp TP !!!
    I am headed your way Friday, I just love road trips.
    I might be a bit late Friday night !!!

Fiat48
    Go with OEM. How long did the last one make it? One thing you don't go cheap on is cooling, especially in a motor home. Lifetime warranty is great on parts, but you don't want to be changing it on the side of the 40 between Ludlow and Needles every other trip. Ford, Chevy, or Dodge, get the factory replacement. Trust me, been there-done that.
    Absolutely! The after market ones NEVER work like the oem's. They spend more time engaged than disengaged. I have used Napa's and Autozones and they were not worth a damn! Been there also!

Mighty Thor
    There is also the Electric fan option, Good ones can move a lot of air, don't rob anything from the engine and can be had in push or pull versions. My old Motorhome has several electric fans for the various coolers. 33 feet, 454 chev, Turbo 400, Gear vendor overdirve and never had a cooling issue in more than 15 years.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast